Sign in to follow this  

Lowering PDS

I have to lower a 2012 PDS KTM, the back must come down 25-30mm if not more. I did lowering for linkage that came out beautiful but the pds were on the stiff side. The second stage i think is coming in action too soon because of the shorter travel. Now i'm thinking what if i modify the needle shorter. The second piston will be engaged later, i want to keep the plushness as much as possible, but then again maybe it will bottom out easier....

On one of the previous lowered PDS i softened a little the second stage stack but on river beds with rocks is deflecting, but in this case the spring is also too soft (because of the client), so i don't really know why it is bottoming. Maybe i should go the other way, stiffen it, maybe both stacks to compensate the shorter travel?

Unfortunately i don't have enough time to experiment, please give me a direction, thank you

when you shorten a shock it will be stiffer as its into the more progressive part of the leverage ratio(not as secere on a PDS ) but i would say the needle needs to be shorter or run a bleed shim on the 2nd piston with a stiffer stack

hey mogie, thanks, helpful as always. It makes sense what you said, bleed for small flow and then stiffer stack for big flow to avoid abrupt bottom. Ok, how stiff and what bleed gap, small, big... ? :thumbsup:

just guessing but a small bleed gap like 0.15mm 4 mm smaller than the face shim , then stiffen the stack a good amount

I think i'll first see how it's working with a slightly softer second stack and correct spring and sag, maybe it's all needed....i hope :thumbsup:

Seriously, tomorrow i will make the special tools for changing the needle

I have shortened my shock by adding a 5mm spacer. I do not feel any change in the compression or rebound. According to mog, I will get a bit stiffer. Is the 5mm to little to affect the valving?

If you lower the bike, you have to cut the needle to compensate. I would mod the stacks instead of playing with needle length, you will just get yourself into trouble and possibly wreck the shock.

5mm maybe too small to feel

So I don't need to alter my valving. It certainly doen't feel like it!