Sign in to follow this  

Tall 12 year old + CR85 Expert = ?

My son is 12 years old and has been riding since he was 3 and racing since he was 5. He is on a 2005 CR85 expert with only a v-force reed cage and a Pro Circuit shorty silencer. He is tall and mostly legs (mom is 6' and I am 6'4"). He loves his bike but wants more power, not a 125 or 250F till he is 14 so he says. He has ridden his brothers 2007 CRF250 with no problems, just wants to stay on 85 till 14 then move up (fine with me).

My question is: Will a pipe do anymore for the motor? Is the 105 kit for Eric Gore or Lukes racing worth it? He raced last weekend in the 12-15 year old 85cc and 85-105 super mini with pretty good results. He wants more power and I just need some sugjestions.

Thanks,

Scott

Get the EG BB kit. If he wants more power and wants the 85, the bb kit is the ticket. I have a EG 105 bb kit on my son's 2001 cr80 with the low/mid port and that thing is really fast. scares the hell out of me. If you have an expert rider on your hands, the EG supermini with the mid/top port would be just the ticket. It would be faster then a 125 (see his website, he says that his supermini with mid/top porting with head cut for race gas has as much hp as a stock 125). I think your son would love it.

That's good to hear. Did you have any jetting requirements? What pipe combo odd you use? My son Logan is fast and confident on the 85, but even watching him he needs the extra power.

That's good to hear. Did you have any jetting requirements? What pipe combo odd you use? My son Logan is fast and confident on the 85, but even watching him he needs the extra power.

We have an fmf fatty with a fmf shorty silencer. It has stock reeds. You might talk to Eric about pipe/reed combinations to best utilize his porting. I did my son's 80 so it would have a similar power delivery to a 4 stroke since he is far from an expert rider and I didn't want a rev monster that would be difficult for him to ride. I also have a flywheel weight on it to further make it feel like a 4 stroke. I had to lean out my jetting a lot, I still don't think I have it right yet but I am running a 42 pilot with a 120 main, I bought a leaner needle and am running it in the second position. I am in utah at 4500 feet above sea level. Mind you, I am running a 2001 80 so the carb is probably different then yours.

Sorry, I fed you some mis information. It is his 112 big bore stroker kit with mid/top porting and head cut for race gas that has the same hp as a 125. The straight bb 105 doesn't. Probably pretty close to 30 hp though. I can't imagine that the stroker kit would add a ton more hp.