Sign in to follow this  

Arms burning on long uphills

When standing on long technical hill climbs, my arms fatigue fast. Same thing with hard acceleration while standing on more level terrain. I have been trying to grip with the legs but i ride a very narrow small bore 2T on the trail and it is almost too skinny, i have a hard time finding a good spot to squeeze compared to my 250 2T that is much wider in the tank/seat.

It almost feels like my bars are to low. causing me to pull with my arms at a steep angle, but i think taller bars would cause other issues?? Sure, hitting the gym more would help but this is a new one for me, just trying to figure out if its technique or what??

When standing on long technical hill climbs, my arms fatigue fast. Same thing with hard acceleration while standing on more level terrain. I have been trying to grip with the legs but i ride a very narrow small bore 2T on the trail and it is almost too skinny, i have a hard time finding a good spot to squeeze compared to my 250 2T that is much wider in the tank/seat.

It almost feels like my bars are to low. causing me to pull with my arms at a steep angle, but i think taller bars would cause other issues?? Sure, hitting the gym more would help but this is a new one for me, just trying to figure out if its technique or what??

It's technique. Your arms/hands are for working the controls, nothing more. If you are pulling with your arms, you are WAY too far back - there should be no pressure on your arms, ever. Your footpegs are for keeping you on the bike. Get your hips forward and get your weight centered on the pegs. You steer with your legs and knees - that's what squeezing the bike is for.

JayC

It's technique. Your arms/hands are for working the controls, nothing more. If you are pulling with your arms, you are WAY too far back - there should be no pressure on your arms, ever. Your footpegs are for keeping you on the bike. Get your hips forward and get your weight centered on the pegs. You steer with your legs and knees - that's what squeezing the bike is for.

JayC

Exactly. I'm a fat guy new to riding this year. And I am in the same boat. I've found that when I accelerate, if I attempt to lean my head over the front numberplate, my arms are not under tension. So on gas = lean forward.

I have found rolling your bars back just a little can help. I know my bars are too far forward when I start getting the symtoms you describe. I roll my bars back just enough so the when I am up on the pegs head over the numberplate my wrists are in line w/ my shoulders if not just a little bit behind.

Good advice I always pull hard on the bars when standing going uphill but it seems scetchy if I lean so far forward Im not holding my weight with my arms... Ill have to work on that more.

Anyone have any pictures of good technique on uphills? The tough part about this is gravity wants to pull me back, not to mention the acceleration, then add in a few roots and rocks.

Riding requires alot of arm strength, even with good technique. Your arms getting sore is completely normal for a new rider.

I used to have trouble with my elbow pads being too tight and causing massive arm pump. I switched to a suit so I dont have any straps cutting off the circulation to my hands.

In a perfect world it would be easy to always stay balanced on the bike, but if you're gettin thrown all over the place sometimes you gotta pull yourself back up there . . .

As noted by many others already, you really shouldn't be holding on with your arms a lot. This is where a strong torso is important, start doing situps and supermans. With increased torso strength, you can use your torso to hold your upper body forward instead of your arms.

all the replys about body position are completly correct. if your depending on your arms to keep you standing upright you are leaning way to far back.

your body position should always be neutral wether you are going uphill, downhill, accelerating or decelerating. this means you are going to have to move around and adjust your body position based on the current situation. it will come to you in time just focus on your position and if you notice your arms or hands getting tired you probably need to lean foreward more.

a little drill that i do regularly while warmnig up is to ride standing with one hand. you dont need to be going fast just roll around a few turns standing with one hand. if your leaning to far back it will be obvious and you will notice it immediatly. this always helps be find my balance point and keeps it fresh in my mind during a race.