Sign in to follow this  

CRF50/Extreme 110 2nd gear pops out and in...need help

Hey guys,

I need some tips on what to look for, problematic areas, etc. This is a winter project and I have never torn a minibike apart(i do have experience with bigger dirtbikes)

When in 2nd gear, it goes in and out like it catches and then lets go...it cycles this back and forth every 5 or so seconds as your are driving it.

Could this be the synchronizer?

thanks!

so you are saying once i start digging in there i should see a tooth worn down or broken off the below picture? (correct me if I labeled wrong...thanks!)

29up17l.jpg

Well, if the clutch was slipping, it would do it in all the gears. If you feel the "skipping" in 2nd gear only, it is directly related to that gearset. Quite possibly, the shift fork is worn just enough to not slide the gears into place properly. Check behind the rubber plug on the left side of the engine, above the drive sprocket. That bolt under the plug is in one end of the shift drum, and sometimes, it will loosen up enough to allow the drum to move laterally. On the right side of the engine, you would have to remove the clutch cover and take a look at the shift star. Conversely, the bolt that holds the shift can loosen up and cause the same symptoms.

If you find everything all right with the shift drum bolts, you're going to have to split the cases to inspect the trans gears and the gear dogs for wear.

BTW, in your diagram above, your 4th gear is actually 1st, you have the numbers reversed. 4th gear is what you have marked as 1st.

AHh thank you...i think that is a 4 gear conversion kit which this only has 3 gears anyway....

ok, ill check the easy stuff first.

anyone know a link to crf50 manual?