Sign in to follow this  

09 KX450F info needed! Is it still good in 2011/12???

I read thru some other threads and got some good info, but I still want to know how this bike is holding up a few years later. I'm currently in the market for a used 09 and was curious about it being the 1st year with the EFI. How is that holding up a few years later? Any significant issues that it's had? I'm aware of the chain guide and slider and some of the other small problems, but really want to know if there are costly problems with the bike or warranty issues??? Thanks

Only thing ive heard is the motor is a little tamer than the '10 model. Run a Split Stream or ProFill fuel filter to eliminate any injector or fuel pump problems.

• Like 1

got rid of my 09 with 110 hours on it for my 11 in which there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's still running strong with the new owner. Hindsight being 20/20 I should have just kept the 09 cuz it feels just like my 11 does.

• Like 1

I picked up a new leftover 09 spring of 2011. I absolutly love the bike. Power is amazing and the bike handles great. I dont understand all the bad reviews from motocross action about the bike turning and handling bad. The bike turns great. With 40 hours of mx on the clock no problems to report.

• Like 1

I just picked up an 09 second hand, haven't had any issues yet, when you wash the bike i just use the electric grease on all the connectors every once and a while to make sure everything is working good. other than that these things are bulletproof.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! That's exactly what I wanted to hear. kawamaha, thanks for the link, not sure how I missed that one. Going to pick it up this afternoon. Any of you guys that ride/rode this bike on the tall side? I'm 6'3" 225lb and just curious about taller rider's experiences. Again, read some reviews where a 6'1" 215lber said it felt good, but not much other than that. Thanks again!

Thanks everyone! That's exactly what I wanted to hear. kawamaha, thanks for the link, not sure how I missed that one. Going to pick it up this afternoon. Any of you guys that ride/rode this bike on the tall side? I'm 6'3" 225lb and just curious about taller rider's experiences. Again, read some reviews where a 6'1" 215lber said it felt good, but not much other than that. Thanks again!

I'm 6'3" and 210ish pounds. Suspension is a must. Get springs and a revalve for

sure. Lot's of guys on here will tell you that lower foot pegs, an enormous seat,

and 18" bar risers are a must. I personally would never do anything like that to my

bike. I feel like that would really screw with the handling of the bike.

I tried a set of CR Hi handlebars and went back to stock.

Hey "offshores"

I am 6'6" around 220lbs. My bike is stock as far as mods for taller people. I would like to get some taller bar mounts. My stepdad has a 2006 CRF450 with taller bar mount and it feels very nice!

My bike is running great. I have put about 30hrs on it since I got it in May. Not sure how much actual time is on this bike.

Now I just want to get my suspension done for my riding style and weight....

Cool guys! Sounds like all the common things. I did read where the 07's felt really small to taller riders, even with some of the things that were discussed ie taller seat, higher bars, etc... It's good to hear feedback from all of you who ride the 09. My 05 CRF450 is set up with an SDG tall seat, Windham bend bars and the suspension was dialed in by Pro Circuit. Only thing that will transfer over is the bars and maybe my shock spring. That could save me a few hundy. I have to start looking for a deal on getting my suspension done now. Pro C hooked it up nicely, but curious what some of the others feel like too. Maybe some cost comparisons if any could share??? Also, didn't see that SDG makes a tall seat for an 09 and higher? What are people using? Thanks again for all the feedback. It's been more than helpful and very encouraging.

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me of what my weight really needs to be. You all make me feel fat. ha!