Sign in to follow this  

How to test fuel pump?

I think i have a bad fuel pump on my 2010 but want to make sure before I order this expensive part.

Does anyone know what voltage the pump uses? 5v, 12v, etc?

Also wondering what voltage the injector uses.

Honda has updated the fuel pumps from what was in the 2010. It is a different pump with a larger filter that is positioned differently. If you have much time on the bike I would recommend replacing the pump with the 2011 or 2012 pump. We seemed to have problems with fuel filters and pumps regularly until we update to the new pump.

The part you want is 16700-MEN-A52 If you don't have a source for cheap oem parts try http://www.servicehondapsn.com they retail for $286.49 service honda sells them for $195.39.

Cool, thanks.

Not sure what the Honda tester is exactly but I would think that I could hook up 5v to the pump and it should go. And I should be able to kick the bike over and get some voltage to the pump connector, just to make sure its getting power.

gyd- thanks for the tip on the discount price!

I test with a DVOM to verify voltage at the pump connector.

I've also tested with a 12v bulb / fixture, to test for power at the pump. Its actually easier to see while kicking the start lever.

12v bulb is a good idea. the digital meter is all over the place and hard to read while kicking.

btw do you know which wire of the pump harness in pos? black or green?

thanks!

UPDATE: New fuel pump fixed the problem, bike started right up after installation of new pump.

In troubleshooting the key indication were:

1) at the track, I sprayed carb cleaner into the throttle body and the bike fired for a second.

2) had power at the pump harness/plug when kicking the bike over (the 12v bulb works great for this test, thanks gyd!).

3) applied 12v (from a batt) to the pump and... nothing (could not hear pump motor spinning).

easy fix except for the price of a new pump, ouch!

thanks guys!

• Like 1

Here's another way to test it. 25 psi of compressed air right into the vent tube of the fuel tank. It's enough to see if the bike starts and you'll know if the fuel pumo is the problem. I don't reccommend it, but it works if you're in a pinch.

Here's another way to test it. 25 psi of compressed air right into the vent tube of the fuel tank. It's enough to see if the bike starts and you'll know if the fuel pumo is the problem. I don't reccommend it, but it works if you're in a pinch.

I Like that!