Sign in to follow this  

pushing this bike uphill sucks

today for the second time, i went out to ride a short short ride after changing oil and it ran great, until...it shut down for no reason. sometimes i could start it and it would run for a few seconds then it shut off. never ever had a problem with this bike before. the last time i noticed that i would start and run for about a half second if i didn't touch the gas, but it wouldnt' stay running. i am not out of gas but i switch to prime and reserve just in case. nothing. all the gas lines are connected. i didn't touch the bike before this happened and my last ride was long and trouble free. any ideas where to start checking? (the bike is kept in a shed)

make sure the vacuum lines are free and clear and connected. metal gas cap or plastic?

Tank vent? Petcock?, fuel valve? All three can be check in seconds by turning the petcock to prime and opening the bowl drain then watch for the fuel flow to stop or slow down.

i have a clarke 4 gallon tank but it's not clarke's plastic gas cap. it's a honda cap. what is so strange is that i didn't do anything to the bike except change oil. it feels like a fuel problem, though. that is my sense. i did try to start the bike with the gas cap off, by the way. didn't help.

i didn't check for a spark. i had yard work to do today and i was pretty busy. i have a feeling this is a fuel problem. i do have a timing light and i suppose i could check for a spark but getting to the spark plug is such an awful pain. as to how much fuel in in the tank, there is some in both wings. the bike has 133 miles on the trip meter and it holds 3.9 gallons and i get 57 mpg, so i guess that is like half full, but it's less than half full for sure. i'm going out now and open the carb bowl drain plug and see if gas flows out when it's on Prime.

My Clarke tank on our DR350se put a pretty good kink in the line which would starve the lne.

i didn't check for a spark. i had yard work to do today and i was pretty busy. i have a feeling this is a fuel problem. i do have a timing light and i suppose i could check for a spark but getting to the spark plug is such an awful pain. as to how much fuel in in the tank, there is some in both wings. the bike has 133 miles on the trip meter and it holds 3.9 gallons and i get 57 mpg, so i guess that is like half full, but it's less than half full for sure. i'm going out now and open the carb bowl drain plug and see if gas flows out when it's on Prime.

sounds like a venting issue

the cap is vented cause i blew in the hose and could feel the air. i let gas run out the float bowl with the gizmo set to Prime. it had plenty of fuel. i took the tank off and poured the gas out in a bucket. there was a large black bug in the tank, but where would that come from???? that's crazy! some other small weird stuff in the gas but there is no water. the gas looks good. i took the tank to the basement and washed it out. tomorrow will check for spark with my timing light. if it is anything more complicated than a spark plug, i'm screwed. i read these posts about the stator and checking the resistance of this wire or that wire and i just want to crawl in a hole and die. the bike has 7200 miles on it.

Don't re use that fuel in your bike, dump it and put some fresh in...

Could have some of that "small weird stuff " causing blockage in carb jets....if the stator checks out ok remove the carb for closer inspection.....

Bug: I was at a vintage event a few years back, and saw a guy with a perfectly restored OSSA tear down his carb, as the bike wasn't running right. He found a bumblebee (yes, very dead) in his float bowl!

Odd things can happen.

The mesh screen on the petcock pick up will not allow anything large enough to "plug" a jet. Jets are plugged by bad gas 99% of the time. Unless someone cut off the pick up screens...

The bug most likely flew in when you were filling up. If you havnt owned the bike since new, it could have been in there before you purchased it...

Bug: I was at a vintage event a few years back, and saw a guy with a perfectly restored OSSA tear down his carb, as the bike wasn't running right. He found a bumblebee (yes, very dead) in his float bowl!

Odd things can happen.

Hmmm, a bumblebee...hmmm

The mesh screen on the petcock pick up will not allow anything large enough to "plug" a jet. ..

As long as your mesh screen is good...I always run an "in line" filter as a back up to the petcock filter..

As long as your mesh screen is good...I always run an "in line" filter as a back up to the petcock filter..

Yup me three, the sintered bronze are the best I think... :thumbsup:

ok this is the finish of this thread. first, i have owned the bike for a long time but i bought it used but i put the Clarke gas tank on it. the bug was not a flying kind and that is not how he got in the tank. God only knows how. It's absurd. ok i took off the tank and checked that i had a spark. but when i took the plug out, it was wet, but i believe it was wet with water!!! when i pushed the starter button to check spark, i heard a POP coming from the spark plug hole. i swear i saw a couple drops of water on the side of the engine that came from inside the engine!! the simple answer is i have no idea how water got into the engine. i'm sure it wasn't from washing the bike because the carb still had dirt all over it. obviously, the hose spray didn't make it to the outside of the carb. Who knows. I'm also sure the tank did not have water in it. but i did not put that gas back in the tank. i'll reserve that for the lawn mower. new gas in the tank and it fired right up and only had time to take it around the road i live on, and no problems. thanks for all your help.

A bumblebee in the float bowl??? O M G