Sign in to follow this  

xr oil pressure sending unit/ light mod

This is a good idea that's been thought about before, but no one has come up with a sensor that's a good indicator of the normal low pressure.

If you are targeting the line to the head the pressure may be quite low.

Dave

This is a good idea that's been thought about before, but no one has come up with a sensor that's a good indicator of the normal low pressure.

I have tryed 4 sending units so far,And yes I am trying to run it off the banjo bolt on the head.I have this on on the bike now it works right 90 percent of the time it is adjustable,I have it turned down allmost as low as it will go .

works great when the eng is cold and when it is hot 90 percent of the time.

I have not given up on it yet,as I am to hard headed to give up with out a fight.I will make make it work.But it must be a low buck thing that anyone can do with easy to get parts.

Yes a flow meter type switch would work best (like the vanpelt set up) But I was trying to keep cost down .I guess I posted to soon:banghead:

This is an adjustable switch,and can be adjusted as low as .5 psi. I may drill the banjo bolt one lettered drill bit over size,weld the hole, then redrill back to the orginal size.this may give it a little line pressure without restricting flow. ???

Hobbs part number 76579

http://content.honeywell.com/sensing/hss/hobbsparts/products/pressureSwitches.asp

Type: Direct action blade contact

Contacts: Silver alloy, gold plated

Set Point: Factory set from 0.5 to 150 PSI

Operating Pressure: 150 PSI for 0.5-24 PSI set point range, 250 PSI for 25-150 PSI set point range

Proof Pressure: 500 PSI

Burst Pressure: 750 PSI for 0.5-24 PSI set point range 1250 PSI for 25-150 PSI set point range.

Resistive: 15 AMP-6 VDC, 8 AMP-12 VDC

4 AMP-24 VDC

Inductive: 1 AMP-120 VAC, 0.5 AMP-240 VAC

Diaphragm: Polyimide film

Temperature Range: -40° F to + 250° F

Connector: 1/8 -27 NPT male thread

Terminals: #8-32 screws, 1/4" blade, 280 Series Metri-Pack

Circuitry: -SPST-N.O., N.C., 1 circuit adjustable dual circuit, or 2 circuits adjustable dual circuit. Also available are N.O./N.O. dual circuit and NC/NC dual circuit.

Base: Plated Steel

Cover: Glass reinforced polyester

Options: Brass, plastic or stainless steel base; various base connector thread sizes; wire leads (potted & sealed).

Edited by winginit
link

By the gods of fluid dynamics, to raise pressure you must restrict flow.

You could put a microphone in the rocker cover, one attuned to the scream of the camshaft...

It is possible the lower banjo has a good bit more pressure.

Dave

By the gods of fluid dynamics, to raise pressure you must restrict flow.

You could put a microphone in the rocker cover, one attuned to the scream of the camshaft...

It is possible the lower banjo has a good bit more pressure.

Dave

Lower banjo bolt, good point! I will try that .

it is so close, at .5 psi to trip the switch it wouldent take much. The light stays off all the time 9 out of 10 times now.

thanks

Update : guess I droped the ball,and dident follow up on this post opps ok back on task.

( with my leg in a cast,I have to much time on my hands ) :)

played with the adjustment on the switch,and it is working just fine.

this should be a low cost way to see that the top end of the engine is getting oil. I will be puting this on all my xr/xl"s as I am very happy with it. If any of you have lost a topend do to a lack of oil,you can see how much this can save on parts and down time. hope this helps my follow xr brothers good luck, And have a great day!!! :lol:

napa # 701-1591 45.00

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?Ntt=701-1591&Ntk=Keyword&Nty=1&Dn=0&D=701-1591&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0

Hobbs part number 76579

http://content.honeywell.com/sensing/hss/hobbsparts/products/pressureSwitches.asp

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.152797511482174.32463.100002557781360&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=152797908148801&set=a.152797511482174.32463.100002557781360&type=3&theater

Edited by winginit

So you broke your leg riding, or doing some non-worthy activity?

But, are you putting the sensor on the bottom banjo?

Facebook link doesn't come up.

Dave

So you broke your leg riding, or doing some non-worthy activity?

But, are you putting the sensor on the bottom banjo?

Facebook link doesn't come up.

Dave

Yep,riding the nx/xr/L frankenbike, super soft sand bike landed on my leg,the rear rack has side bars that stick out a bit,I may cut them off.:)

I was going to move the line down to the lower bango bolt,but after playing with the adjustment a bit it seems to work just fine .

I guess I'll have to find a way to post pic? Thanks for your reply :lol:

:smirk::bonk:

:lol:

Make the pic a little smaller,,i can almost see it right now..

:lol::lol:

:lol:

B

IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1393-1-1-1.jpg

Okay, is this bigger?

Update : Still works great ,I would do it again If for nothing but pece of mind.

You should make a good sized detailed picture of your mod......still hard to tell what you did.......if it works well you should also consider selling them..

Alot of people would love to see something like this come to market......i always said honda coulda put an oil light on these bikes,,stupid buggers :cry:

B

You should make a good sized detailed picture of your mod......still hard to tell what you did.......if it works well you should also consider selling them..

Alot of people would love to see something like this come to market......i always said honda coulda put an oil light on these bikes,,stupid buggers :thumbsdn:

B

I Wouldent want to make any money off any of you guys, I would like to think of it as trading info,I have learned alot on this site and think of it as giveing something back. I am putting an xr 400 oil cooler on the bike now so I will try to take better picks.

I've had that same hobbs switch sitting out in the garage since I sold my turbo car. I want to add an electric oil temp gauge and a bright idiot light to let me know when wheelies are too long... :ride:

What PSI are you set at?

:cheers:

Edited by TNTsXLR

I've had that same hobbs switch sitting out in the garage since I sold my turbo car. I want to add an electric oil temp gauge and a bright idiot light to let me know when wheelies are too long... :ride:

What PSI are you set at?

:cheers:

I dont know what the PSI is, I only have the oil switch/light on the rocker box. When it is cold their may be some PSI but when it is warmed up it is allmost 0 zerooooo. Just like your water hose, no PSI untill you block the end of the hose.