Rough cost to rebuild a 2001 YZ250 engine

just did mine for about $350 ,was 175 bottom end wiseco kit from ebay, 150wiseco topend , few for topend gaskets from motosport. and new fluids. Them vids from rockymoutain on youtube helped be out a bunch i think its even on out bike. With a fresh rebuild it got some power keeps right up with my buddys 450's

I wouldn't want, or trust one of Wiseco's Chinese crank assemblies, unless they stopped that BS and started selling quality stuff like their pistons. I'd send the crank to Mr. Crankshaft to get it rebuilt with quality Japanese parts. a rebuild, true, and polish ran me $170. It came back looking great and he was super fast and a great guy to deal with.

Make sure to check the bearings and oil seals! Check the water pump shaft, too. Other than that, there isn't much to go wrong on a smoker! $300-600 for a bike isn't bad! How's the rest of it?

So Ive been reading about these wiseco crank failures, but I havent seen many pics or actual posts about it. There is big talk of this over on the 250r forum. But i have only seen one pic of an actual failure. (happend in less than 5 min) Does anyone have a yz 2t failure pic?

http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/industry-news/2009/03/13/wiseco-crank-and-connecting-rod-recall/ looks like few years ago there was some big problems .Has anyone seen a new crank fail in 2010+? I just want to get more info on this since i just put one in i guess ill be the tester. Granted there will always be a few bad ones since they pump out tons of them

every yamaha gearbox i have seen has needed several gears, my 06 yz250 needed 5 (split it 5 hours after i got it) have a 01 yz 250 bought as basket case, it needs 5 or 6 gears, friend of a friend has 1 with no first and another with no fifth.

yamaha gear boxes seem to be very weak in my experience

• 7 years later...
On 10/17/2011 at 2:50 PM, DRZ400Senior said:

What would it cost roughly to rebuild a 2001 YZ250 engine. Crank, bearings, seals...etc and new top end.

Any Idea roughly....$250-$500-$1000??

Thanks in advance!

:thumbsup::ride:

I just had my yz250 engine rebuilt by McDermott racing in SoCal. Full rebuild of engine transmission ok. New crank, bearings, gaskets, seals, piston. $890 

32 minutes ago, Dan Bickert said:

I just had my yz250 engine rebuilt by McDermott racing in SoCal. Full rebuild of engine transmission ok. New crank, bearings, gaskets, seals, piston. $890 

Thats a great price for T&M. Inside Line in Orange charged me 1,800 about 7-8 years ago. But that gave me a good reason to NEVER let anyone touch my junk again!

See my sig line. ?Inside line, on Struck over by the pond/A stadium!

• Like 1