Sign in to follow this  

drz 400s fatter tire ques

hey guys,

Do you know how wide I can go and what is best way to get max tire size on my bike. I have seen some guys who posted a huge rear tire. not sure if you can use spacers or whatever to allow even bigger...without it rubbing the chain or the control arms.

any ideas please?

my stock tires are:

front = 80/100 - 21

rear = 120/90 - 18

cheers

:thumbsup:

I tried a 130/90 - 18 rear. Certainly there is no problem with clearance and you could likely go to a 140. I didn't like the way the bike handled with the wider rear tire and went back to the stock size. Really I wonder about the wisdom of going to a larger tire. It robs horsepower, doesn't corner as well and improvement in straight ahead traction is minimal.

Just ordered a metzler enduro 3 sahara rear tyre 140 wide stock is 120, I will let you know how it goes in a few weeks

I put on a Terraflex 140. It was such a tight fit between the brake rotor gaurd and the chaing guide. It would have been way easier to put it back on if it was deflated. Thats probably the biggest tire you can put on this bike. PM me if you a want to see a picture of it.

Pirelli XCMH 140/18. Plenty of clearance, and is a monster in the woods. It slows high the handling slightly, but not enough that it really matters...at least, not to me.

With an ultra heavy duty tube and rim locks, it's almost as unstoppable as the Terraflex, but easier to install and weighs alot less.

winter09_2.jpg

hey guys, thank for all the help!

so it looks like I can go as high as 150 /90 x 18 or 5.10x18

better to stick with 140's ...sounds like a better fit

I forgot to ask...what size rim would I need?

cheers guys!

-drew

140/18 Terraflex here,my stock Maxxius I think it was was shit,for where I took it always getting stuck on logs and stone,Im happy had to cut down some of the mud flap when it expands.Very aggressive!

My 150 SM wheels rubbed a slight bit sometimes but 140 is no problem on the S wheels.

I wish this question was posted before I bought my Kenda 270's. I love the tire (perfect 50/50 tire) but should of went for a 5.10 rear. I like fat rears (on bikes that is). It may steal power or distort handleing but it throws a lot of meat to the grinder. The 4.60 will have to do for now.

based on my driving..little more on road...60-70%

I was considering one of these 2:

* Shinko 700 5.10" x 18" $56, front 3.00" x 21"

* IRC GP-110 5.10" x 18" $108, front 3.00" x 21"

any ideas or comments?

Just put the rear metzler enduro sahara it is 140 wide with plenty of clearance but rim is way out of balance check out the weight I used, High speed much better with balanced rim tyre and love the 140 wide rear for road and fire trails I have another set of rims for muddy conditions.26102011.jpg26102011002.jpg26102011.jpg

26102011001.jpg

interesting fact for measuring tires... 1 inch = 25.4mm

A 100/80 x 18 tire...is 100mm wide...which equals 3.93" wide (100/25.4 = 3.93")

A 140/80 x 18 tire...is 140mm wide...which equals 5.51" wide (140/25.4 = 5.51")

A 150/80 x 18 tire...is 150mm wide...which equals 5.90" wide (150/25.4 = 5.90")

- I measured the distance between the swing arms. It looks like I can easily clear another 2" inches over stock ...based on the distance between my swing arms. My stock tire of 120/18 is around 5" wide. Which would easily allow for 150/18

- measured my friends today...who has 150/17 ....it was under 6" wide mounted on a 3" rim.

CONCLUSION: you can go as high as 6" wide maybe 6.5"..which would easily allow for a 150/18 tire

Edited by venutoa

26102011.jpg

Holy Shoot, That's the madest wheel weight I have ever seen....Did the tyre have an "align with the valve" mark.??..I have never seen that much weight needed on a motorcycle tyre, maybe a truck....

26102011001.jpg

Holy Shoot, Is that a steel weight?.That's the madest wheel weight I have ever seen....Did the tyre have an "align with the valve" mark.??..I have never seen that much weight needed on a motorcycle tyre, maybe on a truck....

Just put the rear metzler enduro sahara it is 140 wide with plenty of clearance but rim is way out of balance check out the weight I used, High speed much better with balanced rim tyre and love the 140 wide rear for road and fire trails I have another set of rims for muddy conditions.

Have you got a picture of the matching front?

Have you got a picture of the matching front?

Just for you I took a pic of the front hope this helps a good tyre for all conditions except heavy mud. These tyres give you confidence on the road and still produce good results on fire trails etc. And a pic of the case saver from b & b offoad.

29102011001.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb358/Glennboy66/29102011001.jpg

29102011.jpg28102011.jpg