crf230f inverted forks compatiable?

i have a 2009 crf230 and wanting to swap my suspencion and forks. im wanting to put a pair of forks off a cr125 (inverted) and wondering if you would have to do much to the bike to make it compatiable, and also wondering if the forks would have to be shortend.

That depends on what you want. Up to I think 1991 uses the same bearings (it's been awhile since I was checking) as the 230. You need to use a 1inch spacer above the top bearing and you have to make fork stops. If you want the bike to stay the same height you will need to shorten the forks. Mine is as tall as a CRF 250R with stock length CR500 forks and a works shock.

There are threads in the XR250 forum and the XR/CRF80-200 forum discussing adapting CR forks. The XR/XL250s and XR200s use the same head bearings as the CRF230 so the same issues.

I put cr250 USD forks on, used a emig triple tree set so it was a direct bolt on... Then used linkage from a crf150f to raise the bike... didn't shorten the forks. Then I put a xr400 kickstand because I had raised the bike 2 inches...

Just finished putting 03 CR125 forks on my 230f. Went the Emig Racing way. Got cr125 front end off Ebay Triples,forks wheel and brakes. Ordered Emig stem, had pressed in 125 lower triple, uses OEM bearings and seals. Had forks shortened 1 3/4 inches and revalved. Made fork stops modified gas tank. See it can cost some money. Search Ebay for the parts and definately use the search on this site these guys have done this before and are sharing their info to us. Cant give ya a report yet,still apart waiting for the Works!! Good Luck!!!!

I put cr250 USD forks on, used a emig triple tree set so it was a direct bolt on... Then used linkage from a crf150f to raise the bike... didn't shorten the forks. Then I put a xr400 kickstand because I had raised the bike 2 inches...

when you say straight bolt on do you mean no bearing had to be changed or anything.

With the Emig racing stem you purchase a new stem from them (180.00). You puchase set of cr 125/250 triple trees (ebay). You have the old stem pressed out of cr125/250 lower clamp and new stem pressed in with crf230f lower bearing and seal. Once you have the triple trees set up will accept cr125/250 forks and front wheel.

Great posts! :thumbsup:

Be advised that CR125 forks are KYB forks.

CR250 forks are Showa forks.

CR250 Showa forks are twin chamber forks (from 1997-up).

CR125 KYB forks are open chamber forks.

Either fork, however, is interchangeable w/ the triple clamp, and will bolt up to the Honda triple clamp fine.

A visit to Racetech's web site show the KYB/Showa issue gets more confusing when looking at other years:

CR125

81-82 KYB 38C

83-86 KYB 43C damper rod

87-89 KYB 43C cartridge

90-91 Showa 45U

92-93 Showa 43U

94-96 KYB 43U

97-07 KYB 46U

CR250

81 Showa 41C

82-85 Showa 43C damper rod

86-88 Showa 43C cartridge

89-91 Showa 45U

92-94 Showa 43U

95 KYB 43U

96 KYB 46U

97-07 Showa 47U

I've read all the info regarding fitment of superior forks to the crf230f as I wanted to do the same. What I am surprised at is that nobody has discovered that any forks can be fitted with absolute ease and cost effectiveness using the stem from an Xr250 late 80's to 95? I used a 91 model stem which had a slightly longer top section where the top triple clamp bolts on as bigger forks have slightly thicker top clamps than a 230. This is the same as the expensive Emig Racing stem at a fraction of the cost. I was able to fit Usd Husky 125 forks and front end and the result looks straight from factory, no spacers or fancy machines pieces. Just pop out the xr stem , same as the 230! , and press into new triple clamp for new forks. Just check your new top triple hole size( may have to be enlarged ) to complete the install.

Hope this helps the many who have contemplated this swap!

• Like 3

I've read all the info regarding fitment of superior forks to the crf230f as I wanted to do the same. What I am surprised at is that nobody has discovered that any forks can be fitted with absolute ease and cost effectiveness using the stem from an Xr250 late 80's to 95? I used a 91 model stem which had a slightly longer top section where the top triple clamp bolts on as bigger forks have slightly thicker top clamps than a 230. This is the same as the expensive Emig Racing stem at a fraction of the cost. I was able to fit Usd Husky 125 forks and front end and the result looks straight from factory, no spacers or fancy machines pieces. Just pop out the xr stem , same as the 230! , and press into new triple clamp for new forks. Just check your new top triple hole size( may have to be enlarged ) to complete the install.

Right on, and it also applies to other fork conversions.

I put a set of CR80 USD forks on a XR200 using a 84 XR250 stem, but the stem OD was smaller than the CR80 triple ID so I used Permatex Bearing Repair to install the stem. It has 5000psi strength and is usable for gaps to 0.018", and has held up for 3 years. I used the upper triple and the forks to hold the stem and lower triple in position for 24 hours while the compound cured.

• Like 1

That is good info. If you have a picture I'd like to see.

Or you could use a stem from an xr250 early 90's model like I said!

Yes you did, but how do you find that stem with a low fee. I have had zero luck, so the option for now is Emig.

Shop ebay and buy a lower triple with stem for a 84-95 XR250R, other XRs use the same head bearings but I don't know the bearing spacing.

Are you saying it is a direct fit into CR125/250 USD triple tree? What year would the CR triple tree have to be?

I can tell you this re the 89 CR250 forks. They bolt right up to the 230/150 frame. 1989 was the first year of the Honda USD forks and were reportedly very harsh and difficult to tune to the satisfaction of the factory riders. I, not being a factory rider, and having stumbled across an entire rolling chassis for 150 bux put the entire front end on my 230 dual sport project and am using the rear wheel in the disc brake conversion the stem uses the same bearings as the 150/230 and need only a space between the top of the steer tube and upper clamp. I used the inner race from an old 230 steering stem bearing with 2 washers under it

ST O.D.

• Like 1

I believe any year although I'm not 100 percent sure as I haven't checked every bike! The hole in the lower triple was 26 mm and this was in the xr as well as a 95 Husqvarna which is as different a bike as you could find so it seems that 26 mm is the industry standard. By the way the xr triple I got from local bike dismantler for $50 Australian ( similar or dearer than us$)