Sign in to follow this  

Cam timing issues

New here... so hi!

I just replaced my valves and I'm having issues with my cam timing on my z. (Sorry, no pix) I get the TDC mark lined up and the engine is TDC (no, the t isn't centered) but it moves VERY VERY VERY easily counter clockwise... i had a friend hold the ratchet in place to stop it from moving, line everything up perfectly and rotate the engine counter clockwise 2-3 times. it lines up fine, then I do it more and it moves nearly 3/4ths of an inch counter clockwise (the line) and if I line it up again TDC the cams look like they are off a tooth.

what is going on? I've timed them a few different ways at least 5 times but it always ends with tdc almost being hidden by the hold when the cams are lined up perfectly (each dot is parallel with the head, dot straight up in the air.)

this is driving me crazy. I said **** it and it's run fine for a few hundred miles since then, but I wanna know if it's possible to get them perfect?

The motor should be turned only in the direction of the wheels going forward. (That is CCW looking from the flywheel side and CW looking at the cam chain side). Once the cams are timed up and the tensioner installed, the cam timing is not going to change. If you are getting a big variance, the only explanation is you have slack in the cam chain in the wrong place. The front run of the cam chain pulls the cams so it has no slack. All the slack winds on on the rear run where the tensioner is.

Once all the slack is out of the system and the motor turning normal direction, cam timing is what it is. It may not be perfect to the marks but you have to consider the only choice you have to a full tooth. If you want perfect, you need adjustable cam sprockets and a degree wheel and dial indicators to "degree" the cams. It may also be your cam chain has some wear that lets the flywheel mark move past the TDC mark before the cam marks are dead on.

New here... so hi!

I just replaced my valves and I'm having issues with my cam timing on my z. (Sorry, no pix) I get the TDC mark lined up and the engine is TDC (no, the t isn't centered) but it moves VERY VERY VERY easily counter clockwise... i had a friend hold the ratchet in place to stop it from moving, line everything up perfectly and rotate the engine counter clockwise 2-3 times. it lines up fine, then I do it more and it moves nearly 3/4ths of an inch counter clockwise (the line) and if I line it up again TDC the cams look like they are off a tooth.

what is going on? I've timed them a few different ways at least 5 times but it always ends with tdc almost being hidden by the hold when the cams are lined up perfectly (each dot is parallel with the head, dot straight up in the air.)

this is driving me crazy. I said **** it and it's run fine for a few hundred miles since then, but I wanna know if it's possible to get them perfect?

As noted above, only rotate the crank in the forward direction when setting the timing, that places the slack on the correct side.

A worn cam chain will also cause perfect timing issues, ie the crank TDC mark and cam marks will never line up with a worn chain.

Cam time (cams to crank, not cam timing) is so very simple, it can be confusing .

If you have not seen the FAQ article

DRZ Valve Clearance Check and Adjustment plus Cam timing

Erik Marquez

Published by E.Marquez

08-10-2009

Suggest you read though that.

And to answer your question...

"if it's possible to get them perfect"

Yes, yes it is, no issue at all.