Sign in to follow this  

Carb help - MZ Baghira (Yamaha SZR 660)

This thing has a 2 barrel/carb setup. I'm unsure what to call it.

One side (the low speed side with the smaller diameter bore) was full of greesy black soot which had to come from the engine, not the airbox. I've taken the whole carb apart and cleaned it up. It wasn't extremely dirty or gummed up, as I have been running seafoam in the gas for 2 tanks.

The reason I started this is because at low throttle positions, at high speed or low speed, I was having some hesitation occasionally. If I got it up to 70mph and held the throttle to keep a steady speed, sometimes it would start acting as if it was starving for fuel. I couldn't increase throttle because it would just act like it was out of gas. When I slowed down to 40mph or so (no throttle) eventually it would just come back in and I could accelerate normally. At low speeds (parking lots, etc), trying to maintain a slow speed in 2nd gear, it would buck forward as if it misfired or I had let off the throttle entirely (which I didn't.)

Hoping I can solve these issues myself because the wife is already freaked out that I had to have the brakes serviced. I really need to be able to do as much of the maintenance as possible, myself.

If anyone has any ideas, tips, or anything I can do to help diagnose the problem I would appreciate it.

I'm going to TRY to pull the plug and get a new one in the morning however the plug is extremely hard to get to.

I'm also going to try to flush the coolant, but I'm unsure if I'll be able to.

I am not sure how the weather is like in south Carolina. I have driven the shit out of a SRX-6 with the same carbs, while I lived in Denmark. Not always, but especially in the spring in the mornings, the carbs would ice up after a few miles of steady high speed. I suspect that is what is happening to yours ad well.