Sign in to follow this  

Can you help me identify this fork mod? 46mm KYB.

Hi, my son bought this 2002 YZ250 and I am trying to help him get the suspension sorted out. I thought I would just do springs, seals, bushings and SPI3 fluid. When I pulled the forks apart I found the base valves had been replaced and the cartridge has been drilled so I am assuming the mid-valve has been modified. If I new what outfit this was from I might try to work with it, so I thought to post pictures in case someone recognizes the hardware. I'm not sure how the mid-valve comes apart so I'm not sure how to inspect it. Thanks in advance.

Suspension010.jpg

Suspension009.jpg

Have you loosened those nuts or were they like that when taken out?

Have you loosened those nuts or were they like that when taken out?

They were like that when they came out. They are wrench tight, they look loose in the picture, though.

mx tech or go racing small port pistons ?

at least those are not oem pistons but higher and therefor the nuts don't flush with the rod

At the cartrdige the peening has been drilled to remove the spring seat. This is necessary to get to take the rod off and get to the rebound/mid

Well, I have searched the information super highway for days trying to figure out how the cartridge comes apart so I can post my shims. I have given up. It looks like the top unscrews from the aluminum tube. I made a set of soft jaws by drilling a 2x4 and cutting it in half so I can hold the tube still in the vise while I work on unscrewing the valve and I have to stop before I destroy it because it is not moving. I don't like the idea of just putting it back together without knowing what it has for mods because I will never be able to troubleshoot it without knowing what shims it has. So I guess I should just take it to a suspension shop and start from scratch. I feel so beaten down. Thanks for your replies, any other words of wisdom will be appreciated.

You need a special tool that fits in the top of the cartridge. (cartridge holding tool). Once you can get a hold of the top to unscrew it, put a screw driver in a vise to hold the bottom of the cartridge while you unscrew the top.

You could get creative and make your own...