Sign in to follow this  

New dirt bike boots. Questions

Well I just picked up a pair of tech3 riding boots and I must say I like them quite a bit. Ive never owned a pair of any real riding boots and I think it will take a while to get used to.

I went riding today for about an hour and missed so many shifts its not even funny. I was wondering if anybody has any pictures of their shifter position, i raised mine but my foot was getting tired by the end of the day (I think i need to raise it some more).

Any other tips are welcome too, Thanks!

I bought some very nice O'Neal boots. First ride I hit first, couldn't hit anything else. Took them off and used my Tour Masters. Walked around in them for several months trying to break them (search here said you had to break them in).

So now I can ride and shift with them but still not ideal.

For my road bike I picked up some Sidi's, a bit stiffer than my Tour Masters but they are hinged at the ankle so there is not as much break in. I'd buy the Sidi dirt bike tires if they weren't so darn expensive and I'm so cheap not wanting to get my monies worth out of the O'Neals.

But if take the time to break them in you'll be able to use them.

Only slightly off topic, but can anyone recommend other good boots for dual sport riding?

I have some Gaerne and Sidi boots for street riding and the Sidis are actually okay for off road as well, except that I don't really want to get them all dirty, plus they won't offer enough traction when trying to push the bike out of a difficult place on the trail.

I'm tempted to just get some sort of work boots, but I haven't seen anything that seems quite right to me. I want something that I can walk around in, that isn't too stiff to work the shifter and rear brake, and also offers a bit of protection.

Suggestions?

Well I just picked up a pair of tech3 riding boots and I must say I like them quite a bit. Ive never owned a pair of any real riding boots and I think it will take a while to get used to.

I went riding today for about an hour and missed so many shifts its not even funny. I was wondering if anybody has any pictures of their shifter position, i raised mine but my foot was getting tired by the end of the day (I think i need to raise it some more).

Any other tips are welcome too, Thanks!

I think what you are experiencing is pretty normal. When I first tried to ride in MX boots years ago, I had about the same situation. I really didn't see how people rode in boots at all. I just knew that people did, so I figured I would keep going until it felt normal. It took some time, but eventually riding in MX boots felt as natural as riding while wearing a helmet does. Don't give up.

Also, there was a post on here somewhere that had a youtube link showing how to break in boots faster. I didn't actually watch the video, so I'm not sure if it is useful or not, but it might be worth searching around for. good Luck!

I think you are focusing too much on getting your toe under the lever. I swear that half the time I just shift using the side of my boot. You don't have to get the toe all the way under the shifter. If you just keep riding in the boots, you will probably get used to them.

Only slightly off topic, but can anyone recommend other good boots for dual sport riding?

I have some Gaerne and Sidi boots for street riding and the Sidis are actually okay for off road as well, except that I don't really want to get them all dirty, plus they won't offer enough traction when trying to push the bike out of a difficult place on the trail.

I'm tempted to just get some sort of work boots, but I haven't seen anything that seems quite right to me. I want something that I can walk around in, that isn't too stiff to work the shifter and rear brake, and also offers a bit of protection.

Suggestions?

I have a pair of Thor 50/50 boots that I use in everything but the worst mud. I can comfortably walk around in them all day without getting hot/tired feet. I've had them for 3 three years now and they're holding up pretty good.

:thumbsup:

Suggestions?

I have a pair of oneal half boot and they are great, comfortable all day long and no real break in time. just put them on and go i took off the steel cap on the toe so it did not get caught on carpet or scratch floors when i go into places when i stop for a drink or food but thats just me.

I don't use my toe to shift, I use the "rim" part of the boot sole which sticks out very slightly from the toe box.

Also, instead of pivoting at the ankle to lift your toe, try lifting your entire foot and the shifter with it. It will feel clunky and imprecise at first.