Sign in to follow this  

20mm triple clamps on RMZ?

Hello - I'm on a 2011 RMZ 450 and looking for new clamps. Both RG3 and Ride Engineering recommend a 20mm offset, instead of the stock 21.5mm. Anyone have experience running the 20's? I know that Dungey ran 20mm's from RG3 on his RMZ. Thanks for any help.

They don't like to reply to triple clamp questions around here. I asked on a couple weeks ago and got no response.

I have an RG3 top clamp on 09. Its the stock offset, so I didn't notice much of a difference. Wish I could be more help.

They don't like to reply to triple clamp questions around here.

Probably because no one has any information to give, I also have also not run offset tripple clamps, though i'm interested to see what the difference is like too

Maybe it's because the Suzuki is the best cornering bike already. What are you trying to change?

exactly- why would you want to mess with the best turning bike out there.

as for ride or RG3, i am sure they recommend changing both clamps since that means them selling more parts.

exactly- why would you want to mess with the best turning bike out there.

as for ride or RG3, i am sure they recommend changing both clamps since that means them selling more parts.

Like all machines, they are man made and there is always room for improvement.

I have the RG3 20mm clamps and rear shock linkage on my 2008 and they really made a huge difference. I just bought a 2012 last weekend. I read on the RG3 website that the 008 clamps don't fit on the 2012 put the linkage will.

Anyone know what the difference is?

I think the only difference between the 09/09 and the 10/11/12 is the length of the head tube. The tope clamps transfer straight across, but I think you would hav eto get a longer stearing stem to make the bottom clamp work

I have the RG3 20mm clamps and rear shock linkage on my 2008 and they really made a huge difference. I just bought a 2012 last weekend. I read on the RG3 website that the 008 clamps don't fit on the 2012 put the linkage will.

Anyone know what the difference is?

what's the 12 like?

I just got a 2011. Only thing I would change on the bike is the gearing and the map plugs for temperature/conditions. Suspension is very good after a fluid change and messing with fork oil height and sag. 20mm clamps will make the front more planted, but I feel the front sticks good with stock offset. This is the first 450 that I actually like.

I personally do not feel 20mm clamps are necessary. I think they may be better for some tight tracks or if your front is sliding out on you,but I have not had any issues that would make me want a different offset.

I personally do not feel 20mm clamps are necessary. I think they may be better for some tight tracks or if your front is sliding out on you,but I have not had any issues that would make me want a different offset.

So you've tried em?

Mine are due in anyday. Hopefully the snow holds off a bit longer and I get a chance to try them on a track.

what's the 12 like?

Bad ass! Can put it where ever I want when I want. Have a Pro Circuit exhaust and gearing on the way which should really top it off. I felt the exhaust was choking it up and that it could use an extra tooth on the rear. I drank the koolaid, rode a KTM 350 SXF for a few months and just had to get back on a 450. The 350 was fun, but it ain't a RMZ 450.

I do have a set of RG3 20mm triple clamps on my '08 RM250.

But just so everyone is on the same page, you can only go to the 20mm offset by replacing both the top and bottom. I know most of you know this but now everyone does.

The reason why you would increase or decrease the off-set is to remove or add how much weight is placed on the front wheel. In my case the stock '08 RM250 had 21.5mm off-set triples, when I switched over to the RG3 20.0mm triples, it added weight to the front wheel, and I did like it. It gave the front end a more "planted" feel as well as seemingly sticking better on turn entry's.

If you have the money I would definitely do it, plus the four post design of the RG3's seemed to give more control but still dampen the vibration.

08_bars.jpg