TTR 125 L choke / carb question

I just bought a TTR 125 L the other day. I noticed that the choke circuit does not do anything. It looks like the cable does not move inside where it enters the carb. I put some wd-40 on it from inside the carb as well as from the top where the cable goes in, to hopefully loosen it up. My question is, how do you remove the choke cable from the carb. I have not had a chance to get a shop manual yet. Is it common for this to get corroded and stop working? Any advice???

I just bought a TTR 125 L the other day. I noticed that the choke circuit does not do anything. It looks like the cable does not move inside where it enters the carb. I put some wd-40 on it from inside the carb as well as from the top where the cable goes in, to hopefully loosen it up. My question is, how do you remove the choke cable from the carb. I have not had a chance to get a shop manual yet. Is it common for this to get corroded and stop working? Any advice???

Remove the cable from the lever. Grab the ball end with pliers and see if it will move.

Remove the nut from the carb. If pulling before moved it, pull the cable and the plunger out. If pulling it did not work, you need to remove the cable. Soak with PB Blaster (WD40 is a waste of time). Let soak for a few days and carefully try to pull the plunger out. If you cannot, remove the carb and take it to a bike or machine shop.

Parts seize from poor maintenance and abuse. Especially on trail bikes.

I removed the nut on the carb, which the cable goes through and exposed the spring. Is it at this point that by pulling on the cable, the plunger will com out? What is teh cable attached to. The Yamaha schematic is not clear on this. I can't see any other way, from what I am looking at, to remove the plunger or cable.

i had the same problem when i had my ttr...the problem, the cable was kinked right where the fork bolt on the the frame where it pivits.....and if its real cold ( freezing temp) the cable freezes right where it enters the carb ( take a micro torch to the carb where the cable enters the carb and heat it up....works everytime)

Sometimes the plunger itself will seize into the hole, and you have to dig it out and replace the plunger. By that time, the tiny tube below the plunger that draws fuel from the bowl and enriches the mixture when the plunger it up will also be plugged.

Pretty common problem with modern fuels and the tiny carbs. The small passages plug shut quicker than a larger area will.

An entire new cable and plunger assembly is only about $30, if I remember right.

Yes, the plunger should come out. If it will not with reasonable effort, it is seized and you can try soaking with PB Blaster. Otherwise, take the carb to a GOOD mechanic or a machine shop. Cost to pull it will be less than $20. But a new plunger and any other parts not in serviceable condition.

OK, so after soaking for a while I got it moving again.

I think it was stuck in the up position or choke on position. What I did after soaking and trying to pull on the cable to get the plunger out, I pushed down on the plunger and it moved down. Then I could easily move it up and down with just the cable. I was not able to simply pull it out using the cable though. It looks like it should come out but I did not want to force it too much. I know you said it should come out by pulling on the cable, or at least I think that is what you suggested, but can you reconfirm that it was what you meant.

Should I even worry about it now that it seams to move up and down freely?