Sign in to follow this  

What do you use to clean dirty engine parts?

I've been using baking soda to clean the combustion chamber, piston, valves, etc. It really removes carbon and other deposits with very little scrubbing.

I want to leave parts coated with baking soda for 24 hrs to make it even easier to clean but I'm afraid it could corrode the cam bearing surfaces in the head. Is there a chance of it damaging aluminum or steel?

Anybody knows what engine builders use to clean parts spotless?

I've been using baking soda to clean the combustion chamber, piston, valves, etc. It really removes carbon and other deposits with very little scrubbing.

I want to leave parts coated with baking soda for 24 hrs to make it even easier to clean but I'm afraid it could corrode the cam bearing surfaces in the head. Is there a chance of it damaging aluminum or steel?

Anybody knows what engine builders use to clean parts spotless?

Excuse my ignorance, but is that baking soda mixed with water, or is it straight "Arm & Hammer" powder baking soda onto the parts?:worthy: I do have a spare "stock" piston & cylinder that needs a little bit of cleaning.:thumbsup:

As for cleaning parts in general, I use mineral spirits.:ride:

I rinse the part in plain water and while slightly wet I build a heavy crust of arm & hammer.

I leave it for a couple of hours, it dissolves most of the carbon and grease buildup which I scrub with a soft wire brush and a bit of water.

I think if you leave it overnight like my mother does on her stainless steel pans, parts will come out spotless but I don't know if it could harm polished surfaces.

Baking soda wot harm your parts but a wire brush will. I use brake cleaner on almost everything and mineral spirits for heavy build up.

I use a old crock pot and Mean Green, or Simple Green. Works greaat.