Sign in to follow this  

Old Guy (me) on a MX track

I have been messing with my suspension (re-valving) and am getting it closer to where i want it , the track i am riding is a very rough sand track , in some spots the holes and breaking bumps about jar your teeth out , you will see when i am on the long back straight coming to the corner the video gets blurry , its from my head vibrating from the bumps , i am still getting my confidence up because before i re-valved , the bike beat me to death and it was all i could do to hold on , and it did weird things over jumps ,I had it re-valved but it was way too stiff

So i tore it apart myself and with some guidance from some guys here on TT , the changes i made , made the forks plusher , though i will still have to tear it apart again and do some more work as i made it almost too soft , but anyway , i am old so i cant take the hits like i did 35 years ago , i am not fast anymore , but I'm not the slowest out there either , and i am way out of shape after a couple years off from a broken neck , so i am slowly progressing and getting faster every time i take the bike out and get my confidence back up , i still need to man up on the jumps more , but i go farther every time i ride !

Anyway , enjoy the video , critique my riding if you think it will help where i am doing things wrong (mainly nutting up for the bigger jumps , i keep slowing down) and i am older than most of the riders fathers , so go easy on me !:thumbsup: , and i never use the front brake , i use engine braking and rear brake to corner (i know , i know !)

bike is a 02 CRF450R with stock pipe (muffler cut 3 inches) and stock 13/50 gearing , i just get it in 4th and never shift again

http://vimeo.com/30722277

That was awesome. Hey at our age, who gives a ratz azz about being fastest, just being out there is a blast. Can't critique the riding as I'm a crappy old rider myself, but I have learned that I don't heal like I used to, and so I measure "risk/reward" more carefully than I used to.

Hey good job. Keep it going. Looks like a track that would be more fun the faster you go.:thumbsup:

Oh man those rollers where making my arthritic knees hurt just watching you........

Looks good, I do think you need to run a gear lower and run more into the midrange, you will find it easier to ride that sand and mud.

Also lugging the bike is actually harder on the internals than running it a little higher in the rpms.

Don't let your age discourage you, It will keep you younger and mobile at lot longer.

Looks good, I do think you need to run a gear lower and run more into the midrange, you will find it easier to ride that sand and mud.

Also lugging the bike is actually harder on the internals than running it a little higher in the rpms.

Don't let your age discourage you, It will keep you younger and mobile at lot longer.

I always though the opposite , that is the main reason i run a gear higher , it still pulls hard if i actually hold it on , especially on that back stretch , and i am only about 1/2 throttle or so then , but i think my tire selection on the rear was not the best , its a Pirelli 404 , and if i run in 3rd , the bike is all over the place because the rear tire does not grab enough (should have went with a MX31) , so i just leave it in 4th and it still goes plenty fast , i just am not giving it all the throttle because of the lack of traction with that tire

But yea , i hope to be able to keep riding till i am at least 60 , as long as i don't break my back or neck again , i just don't heal like i did when i was 20

Oh man those rollers where making my arthritic knees hurt just watching you........

lol , i have Arthritis , Bursitis , plates and pins and screws holding my head on , and extra parts in my back , and some parts missing from my back , so i feel your pain ,,,,, actually , i feel my pain , lol

lol , i have Arthritis , Bursitis , plates and pins and screws holding my head on , and extra parts in my back , and some parts missing from my back , so i feel your pain ,,,,, actually , i feel my pain , lol

Lol, I also feel your pain,, I have plenty of hardware, crushed my L4 and L5 back in 86, plenty of broken this and that, arthritis just started sneaking in ,, but when I dont ride for a while I get more pain a limited movement. So I try to get out as much as I can.

Not quite as mature (old) as you but getting there, here is a quick vid of my brother (50)and me (46).

You just gotta keep on riding.

I am one of those loder riders that quit a long time ago anf tried to get back into it. I applaud you for geting back on a bike especially after you broke your neck. I have no cartilidge in one knee and both operated on. Getting up in the morning is a bit hard.

I rode some big race last year and did ok. The hardest thing is finding the time and energy to practice.

Also, the people that I ride with keep encourging me to race and I just wanted to have fun in practice till I am ready..... anyways, I had raced consecutively for 17 years, took time out and came back, in my late 30's and smoked the 17 yr olds for 1/2 the race till I remembered I was not 17.

Worth some pit talk and a beer.

keep us posted.

YOU CAN DO IT!

Lol, I also feel your pain,, I have plenty of hardware, crushed my L4 and L5 back in 86, plenty of broken this and that, arthritis just started sneaking in ,, but when I dont ride for a while I get more pain a limited movement. So I try to get out as much as I can.

Not quite as mature (old) as you but getting there, here is a quick vid of my brother (50)and me (46).

You just gotta keep on riding.

That was a nice high speed track ! , though it looked a little hard packed , but you guys were moving along (were you on the yellow bike or the red one ??)

and yea , i got hit by a car at 50 mph on a GSXR in 86 , went clear thru the car (in the back window and out the side window) the lady turned right , from the left lane and stopped right in front of me almost broadside , i had no where to go , i tried to swerve but ended up hitting it right in front of the rear wheel (78 Chevy Caprice*big car*) and going thru the car , flew 26 ft then landed on my head , i was in a wheel chair for 1 yr and in therapy for 2 , was lucky i was able to walk again (L-3 , L-4 , L-5 and S-1), and i am 1 1/2" shorter now , i broke my back 2 more times and broke off the pedicles (the little things that stick out from the vertebra that hold the nerves) , so i loose feeling a lot because the nerves get pinched all the time , then broke my neck in 09 (C-5 , C--6 ,C-7) , its been a rough road , so i figured getting back on the track after 30 years couldn't be any worse on me then things already have been ! lol

This is my neck from 09

necknameedit.jpg

I am one of those loder riders that quit a long time ago anf tried to get back into it. I applaud you for geting back on a bike especially after you broke your neck. I have no cartilidge in one knee and both operated on. Getting up in the morning is a bit hard.

I rode some big race last year and did ok. The hardest thing is finding the time and energy to practice.

Also, the people that I ride with keep encourging me to race and I just wanted to have fun in practice till I am ready..... anyways, I had raced consecutively for 17 years, took time out and came back, in my late 30's and smoked the 17 yr olds for 1/2 the race till I remembered I was not 17.

Worth some pit talk and a beer.

keep us posted.

YOU CAN DO IT!

I hear ya ! , i also keep forgetting i am not 17 , or 20 , or 30 , or 40 lol , and there are days (usually after riding) , that i can hardly get out of bed , there are some days i don't unless i roll out and onto the floor ,then i crawl on my hands and knee's across the floor because i can't stand up at all (just last week as a matter of fact) , but then i am back at the track , or in the woods the next weekend , you would think i would have learned my lesson by now !

But , as long as i can still get around , i will still ride ! , it keeps me going , more or less !

That was a nice high speed track ! , though it looked a little hard packed , but you guys were moving along (were you on the yellow bike or the red one ??)

and yea , i got hit by a car at 50 mph on a GSXR in 86 , went clear thru the car (in the back window and out the side window) the lady turned right , from the left lane and stopped right in front of me almost broadside , i had no where to go , i tried to swerve but ended up hitting it right in front of the rear wheel (78 Chevy Caprice*big car*) and going thru the car , flew 26 ft then landed on my head , i was in a wheel chair for 1 yr and in therapy for 2 , was lucky i was able to walk again (L-3 , L-4 , L-5 and S-1), and i am 1 1/2" shorter now , i broke my back 2 more times and broke off the pedicles (the little things that stick out from the vertebra that hold the nerves) , so i loose feeling a lot because the nerves get pinched all the time , then broke my neck in 09 (C-5 , C--6 ,C-7) , its been a rough road , so i figured getting back on the track after 30 years couldn't be any worse on me then things already have been ! lol

This is my neck from 09

necknameedit.jpg

I am on the yellow bike,,

Wow we had parallel crashes?

In 1982 a lady in a Cadillac turned left in front of me in the turning lane,then stopped , I nailed the rear right quarter panel, I was on a GS550,, I tried to jump up and clear the car, my knees sheared off the handlebars at the clamps. I spent some time in the hospital, with hyperextended knees and mostly scraps to my back and elbows, after recovery, I gave up on street bikes for 22 years, went back, and then gave up on them again sticking to dirt.

I really feel your pain..:thumbsup:

I took a good digger earlier this year, spent a few nights in the hospital and then sold my bike. I was dragging my butt around the house, then I started looking for a 2st and found a nice clean 05 KX250.......

01_AUGCD07_A00016.jpg

haha my wife almost threw the money at me so I would go get it and come out of my funk.

I haven't ridden it yet but I can't wait. Have fun and be safe!

That's great I'm 55 and running in some Harescrambles and getting banged up a little but I'm having a blast.My wife say's I'm too old for this but I think if you stop you go down.

I took a good digger earlier this year, spent a few nights in the hospital and then sold my bike. I was dragging my butt around the house, then I started looking for a 2st and found a nice clean 05 KX250.......

01_AUGCD07_A00016.jpg

haha my wife almost threw the money at me so I would go get it and come out of my funk.

I haven't ridden it yet but I can't wait. Have fun and be safe!

Sweet !! , I have been thinking about a 2st ,but if i did it would most likely be a KTM 300XC-W for off-road , my 450X gets heavy sometimes.....well actually its heavy all the time , i just notice it more when i am tired

I am on the yellow bike,,

Wow we had parallel crashes?

In 1982 a lady in a Cadillac turned left in front of me in the turning lane,then stopped , I nailed the rear right quarter panel, I was on a GS550,, I tried to jump up and clear the car, my knees sheared off the handlebars at the clamps. I spent some time in the hospital, with hyperextended knees and mostly scraps to my back and elbows, after recovery, I gave up on street bikes for 22 years, went back, and then gave up on them again sticking to dirt.

I really feel your pain..:thumbsup:

Yea , cars and bikes don't do well together , my crash made me stop riding completely from 1986 to 2005 , i tried the street again , and felt uncomfortable kept thinking someone was going to hit me again , so i went back to dirt(just trail riding to start) and never looked back , now i am trying to get back the almost 20 years of not having fun !