Sign in to follow this  

Rev Limiter???

I just rejetted per this forum with the JD kit and 3x3 mod. I have a full exhaust system as well. I adjusted the Kleintech fuel air screw to 2.5 turns out and the idle seemed a little high. I turned down the idle and she runs very nice at idle and mid openings. The blue needle is clipped at the 3rd groove, I have the 22.5 pilot with a 155 main.

It seems to run perfectly fine at all rev ranges including full throttle except the very top of full throttle where the main jet takes over. Its hard to tell (without a tach) where it starts but it breaks up a little at the very top.

Is it because I've reached the rev limit? If so what regulates that? Maybe its my wrist that needs jetting since my main rider is a 150HP Ducati......I dont know....

Am I expecting too much outta this one lunger? My other bikes completely shut down at the rev limit, this DRZ just breaks up a little (enough to let you know youve reached the blowup point)

You will definitely know the difference between the rev limiter and breaking up, I believe it's the CDI that regulates that. If you are breaking up in higher rpm's try the "open air box door/tape the 3x3" process to see if you have the correct main jet. What is your elevation?

The CDI controls REV limiter function, and it starts dropping spark well before the rev limiter final RPM numbers. At the 10k, 10.5k, 11K (after market) finial limit, it gives you an out of breath, out of gas, no power kind of feel.. NOT a FLAME OUT, total drop of power. Many folks mistake the REV limiter on this bike for jetting runabilitry issues, not realizing, they are just at the end of the RPM limit.

Calculate motor rev from gearing vs ground speed and that will be close enough to estimate if you are hitting the rev limiter.

When I hit the rev limiter on my DRZ, it just feels like a 2 stoke with a bad plug.

Mine is doing something similar, it seems to be breaking up/topping out early. It ran fine after my rejet and would actually go to the real rev-limit(i've hit it and know the feel) but i got dirt through the airbox and it got in the main jet. So I removed the carb, cleaned that jet, then sprayed the whole thing down with carb cleaner but now it tops out early.

I can rev it in neutral and at what seems like should be 3/4 of normal revs, it seems to break up and sounds like a rev limit.

anyone got any ideas on that?

Taz, Try a 160mj and blue needle clip#4 for open pipe at near sea level.....

Will Do!.....Just when I thought I didnt have to pull the carb anymore...... Actually I just put the spark arrester screen back in to richen it a tiny tad. Was a bit too loud anyway. I'll see what happens as soon as it stops raining.

THANKS GUYS! I will post pictures soon. I love my new "White"