Sign in to follow this  

Trouble getting starter cover back on.

Hey all, I have an 09 400s and I can't seemed to get the starter cover on. I almost stripped the screws and ordered some new ones to be safe. What is the technque here? I tried tighting the screws on one after another to ease it on and It wont go past the o-ring. Am I supposed to tap it in with a rubber mallet first or something???:thumbsup:

Hey all, I have an 09 400s and I can't seemed to get the starter cover on. I almost stripped the screws and ordered some new ones to be safe. What is the technque here? I tried tighting the screws on one after another to ease it on and It wont go past the o-ring. Am I supposed to tap it in with a rubber mallet first or something???:thumbsup:

No hammer required............

You are aligning three gears, trying to get them to mesh, and working the O ring in place.

Most times it's a gear issue..

Some folks have an easier time inserting the TQ limiter (gear set behind the “starter cover” then placing the cover in place.

I don’t do it that way.

I place the cover and TQ limiter in the hole, then rotate it slightly back and forth.. If it does not seat, remove and rotate 90 Deg, re insert.. It will seat that way with a little work.

Fiddle, fiddle , fiddle, but don't use force. Everything will slide together easily when it is lined up. The only hangup is the "O" ring on the torque limiter cover that may need to be poked into place as they seem to swell with age. You can always use a new "O" ring to make it easier but they are kind of expensive.

Try the cover without the "O" ring to assure there is not something else out of place. Then remove the cover, install the "O" ring and work it into place.

It took me nearly 3 hours to get mine on.

Seems eassier to me if the bushing is left in the hole. Then a little rotatio.n of the clutch, a little bump of the meat of your thumb, a little twist... done

60 seconds tops for me now. :thumbsup:))

I must have gotten lucky when i did mine, I simply aligned the gears and bolted it up.