Sign in to follow this  

Wiring Problem. Please Help.

Bike: 2006 KTM 250XC Bike runs perfect.

Problem: After installing a XCW wiring harness, regulator, headlight, and taillight, I cannot get anything to turn on. :thumbsup:

First time KTM owner. This is how I wired everything up.

2011-10-17_19-45-31_994.jpg

^Can all three of these share the same ground point??

2011-10-17_19-44-47_841.jpg

2011-10-17_19-43-11_924.jpg

So I assumed that the regulator, kill switch, and dual brown wires would share the same ground point under the tank. I sanded the frame and added some dielectric grease before tightening them down. Is that installed incorrectly?

The bike should have a sufficient 2k-2 stator to power the lights. It had the female spade connector attached to a yellow wire coming out of the loom. I attached it to the male spade connector from the XCW harness.

There is a procedure for testing the stator in the manual, but the bike runs great. Could that still be a potential failure point? The regulator is brand new, should I still test that?

Thanks for any help.

It's fine to ground everything at one point. That regulator has one white wire on it? Does that white wire come form the generator? The yellow wire you connected goes to the headlight switch? What kind of headlight do you have? I can probably help you but may need to ask a couple questions.

It's fine to ground everything at one point. That regulator has one white wire on it? Does that white wire come form the generator? The yellow wire you connected goes to the headlight switch? What kind of headlight do you have? I can probably help you but may need to ask a couple questions.

The regulator is hooked up to the white female spade connector coming out of the XCW wiring loom. It has two white wires going into the connector.

There is no headlight switch. Is it necessary to have one?

The headlight is a stock KTM from a light kit.

Feel free to ask anything else. Thanks

OK, I think the only thing you are missing is a headlight switch up front. Besides the plug that connected to the headlight there should be two more small connectors up front. What color are the two wires that are not connected to anything behind the headlight mask?

....next to the xcw's computer is a light switch. if you go on the trail tech web site, they have a 'fault finding' guide - if you need. are you wanting to power the light up as soon as the bike runs? running the light off the stator has that whole dimming and brightening effect when you rev the bike. if you take 12v from the regulator output side, the light will stay the same......just my 2c

....next to the xcw's computer is a light switch. if you go on the trail tech web site, they have a 'fault finding' guide - if you need. are you wanting to power the light up as soon as the bike runs? running the light off the stator has that whole dimming and brightening effect when you rev the bike. if you take 12v from the regulator output side, the light will stay the same......just my 2c

No DC output, battery or starter on the 2006.

Ok got it. Those two wires go to a pull out headlight switch. Add a switch or connect those last two wires together and the lights will always be on as long as the bike is running. Have fun.

OK, I think the only thing you are missing is a headlight switch up front. Besides the plug that connected to the headlight there should be two more small connectors up front. What color are the two wires that are not connected to anything behind the headlight mask?

Yes there are two plugs behind the headlight that I assumed were for turn signals. :thumbsup:

Im not sure what color they are, but I will be home in a few hours and can give you an update then.

So, I wont have time to order the OEM headlight switch. Can I just put a simple toggle between these two connectors?

Thanks so much for the help.

Yes there are two plugs behind the headlight that I assumed were for turn signals. :thumbsup:

Im not sure what color they are, but I will be home in a few hours and can give you an update then.

So, I wont have time to order the OEM headlight switch. Can I just put a simple toggle between these two connectors?

Thanks so much for the help.

No problem. Use a general purpose toggle switch. It will work fine.

"No DC output, battery or starter on the 2006."? sorry, im not with you. o40oz said there's a regulator....so the regulator is there to regulate the voltage? A good stator should produce voltages between 10 and 60 VAC, depending upon RPM.....hence the dim and bright effect.

"No DC output, battery or starter on the 2006."? sorry, im not with you. o40oz said there's a regulator....so the regulator is there to regulate the voltage? A good stator should produce voltages between 10 and 60 VAC, depending upon RPM.....hence the dim and bright effect.

It's all good. That little regulator limits the AC Voltage maximum to let's say 14 Volts AC. They put it there so the high Voltages don't damage things like light bulbs. The lighting runs off of AC. When the engine slows down it may make less than 12 Volts AC which is why the headlight goes dim. Even on a bike with a battery and starter the lights still run on AC except for the turn signals that run on DC. Wasn't pickin at you.

...no sweat. i just put the trail tech 100w stator kit in, blew the standard bulb on the first good blip of the throttle....so i'm considering running the light off the regulated voltage rather. thats why i mentioned it.....shot for the input though

...no sweat. i just put the trail tech 100w stator kit in, blew the standard bulb on the first good blip of the throttle....so i'm considering running the light off the regulated voltage rather. thats why i mentioned it.....shot for the input though

Start up a thread if you need help figuring it out. I'm supposed to be working but I can help. I troubleshoot electrical problems over the phone and by email as part of my job. Unfortunately not on motorcycles though.

Start up a thread if you need help figuring it out. I'm supposed to be working but I can help. I troubleshoot electrical problems over the phone and by email as part of my job. Unfortunately not on motorcycles though.

That's got to be a real challenge, most people have a hard time explaining things over the phone, must be a real bitch by email :thumbsup:

The output is AC... The regulator is just that. A regulator. The regulator does not allow the voltage to rise above ~14 volts.. Otherwise the bulbs would blow.. There is no rectification going on as the voltage is AC..