Sign in to follow this  

What to look out for when buying 85 sx.

Hi,

A mate is looking for a 85 sx for his 11yr old boy and has found an 07.

So we're going there Sunday to check it out and I was wondering is there anything problematic to look for on these bikes, what sort of things do we need to look out for when checking the bikes over?

Also, over the years what models stand out as the better ones to buy and conversely, stay away from.

Thanks in advance for any help.:thumbsup:

I just bought one and have much about their botomm end issues. I think many of these bikes get seriously raced. Mine won't that type of riding all of the time, but it is something to consider and pay attention to when buying. I also believe you need to play close attention to the premix, ratio, and making sure the air filter.

Thanks guys, aside from the filter checks etc. what sort of inherent problems are there with these machines?

If the bottom end is an issue, what do we look for or listen out for if it's on the decline?

When it does go, what is the usual list of bits & pieces required for repairs? Crank? Casing?? Rod? Piston? Cylinder, or re-sleeve?

Thanks again.

Thanks guys, aside from the filter checks etc. what sort of inherent problems are there with these machines?

If the bottom end is an issue, what do we look for or listen out for if it's on the decline?

When it does go, what is the usual list of bits & pieces required for repairs? Crank? Casing?? Rod? Piston? Cylinder, or re-sleeve?

Thanks again.

when the bottom end on my 05 200 was worn out, it knocked at idle like a knuckle on wood, consistent and went away with steady rev. You should be able to tell a bit about the engine just by how much noise it makes. Also, with any used bike, check for bearing play at every point, ask when was the suspension serviced last, time on the bike, etc.

There really is no inherent problem other than the usual used bike stuff. Depends really on the history of the bike, was it raced in motocross for a few seasons, or was it a yard bike like the one I found.