Sign in to follow this  

'09 or '10 Yz450f

Im not sure if this thread has been made regarding carbed or efi, but im moving up to a 450 and is the efi worth it?

Im moving up from a '07 yz250f and i LOVED it. Is buying a '10 or '11 450f worth the extra cash? Or should i get the carbed '09 and save some money in my pocket? Im just a college kid scraping some cash together to make the purchase so im trying to be wise about it. Im a 160lb 6' novice rider. Im moving away from racing, cant get hurt anymore. Just wanna have fun out on the trails and not stress about racing. Any insight would be great!

I really appreciate it!

If you are going to be riding more trail than track then it's a no brainer, get the 09.

09 had famously smooth power deivery for the woods, 10 had infamous abrupt power from the bottom with the EFI, horrendous in the woods.

Ryan,

I just recently went from a 2009 YZ450F to a 2011 YZ450F. There was nothing wrong at all with my old bike. i found a great deal on the 2011 and sold my 2009 for good money so I made the swap.

I had my 2009 set up with a Yoshi complete exhaust a bigger rear sprocket and rejetted the carb(made a very noticeable difference in torque and useable power with the above mods). I bought the 2011 and I put on Yoshi complete exhaust. Nothing else. The power on the lower end is very different. The power is almost instant as you twist the throttle. overall in the research i did there was about 3-3.5 more horespower moving up to the 2011. The feel and the ride are very different. The power is not super smooth as in the 2009. You can buy a Gytr power tuner or one similar and remap it. Which would mellow it out on the bottom end or however you feel is a good fit for you. The rear suspension on the 2011 is much better than that of the 2009. To me its an even trade. I am finally getting used to the 2011 but its been 2 months. All in all if I had it to do all over again I would probaby have kept the 2009. that is just my opinion. Both are great bikes and have been a ton of fun. i dont think you will go wrong either way.

I ride mainly on tracks but do some trail riding with friends and would say I am an intermediate rider. Hope this helps.

If you are going to be riding more trail than track then it's a no brainer, get the 09.

09 had famously smooth power deivery for the woods, 10 had infamous abrupt power from the bottom with the EFI, horrendous in the woods.

Agree! 10/11 were/are great bikes but for trail riding hey can be a PITA. The older models can be found super cheap, can be mounted with a huge gas tank, run great and have the famous Yamaha reliability tagged to them. If money is a issue, stay 09.

Thank you very much guys! That was very informative and enlightening haha. I think i will go with the '09. As you all said (bop_96 in detail :ride: ) the 09 does seem like the bike for me and i can save some extra cash to do some little tweaking when i do get it :thumbsup:

I've owned a 09 and loved it, very easy to just set the sag, a little jetting and ready to go!.... easiest 450 to ride I guess. Never rode a '10 or '11 though...

I have a buddy riding super moto, he has been on 08 and 09's and been very competetive on them. Then he bought a '10.... he had trouble racing with guys he usually rides even fast with... lost confidence in his bike and sold it. He returned to the old 09 that he kept, and was back to his old speed and confidence...

I hear money is also a factor, + riding trails or other low speed riding might get the surroundings of the exhaust pipe very hot on the 10-11 model i guess????

By the way, you'll probably need earplugs too if riding the '10 model or newer.... because of the intake beeing right under your face.. :thumbsup: