Sign in to follow this  

chain/sprocket help

I've tried searching and there are so many different options that I'm confused with what is going to work best for me.

I'm currently running the stock front sprocket and a 50t rear with a stock type non-oring chain. I'm going to need to replace all of them by the end of the season as they are at about the end of their useable life.

I'd like to upgrade to an o-ring chain and steel sprockets to get more life out of them as I trail ride only. I've read a bunch of posts and all the different chain types from vendors that say they will fit are confusing me.

Some posts say the 0-ring style will rub and others don't because they are narrow? Ho do I go about weeding thru what's going to work?

Is there some kind of FAQ for dummies maybe?

get an x ring chain, they are lighter and narrower but still sealed and will last

What I have on my CRF450R is Ironman sprockets and Sidewinder chain w/brain.

If you are looking for durable, long lasting sprockets can't go wrong with Ironman. This setup has lasted 100's of hours and no signs of wear at all. And the best part is after break-in, you really never have to adjust the setup because the chain is so strong.

I also have this setup on my KX250F as does my son on his CRF250R.

The longest lasting setup I've come across is Ironman sprockets with a DID 520VT2 x-ring chain. The VT2 won't rub the engine case.

The chain retails for $170 but you can get it here for $89. http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/8673

I run the same setup as CamP. It is bullet proof. You will pay a little more, but it will last longer than 3 cheap chain sprocket combos. Try to order the clip type master link for the DID VT2 if you dont have a press for the rivet type master link it comes with. You cant use any brand master link. It requires a special master link for that particular chain.