Sign in to follow this  

Truing stand

I am looking to get a truing stand for lacing my own wheels. I was wondering if anyone has ever made one on here?

If not if someone has one could the put a bunch of pictures of it up so i can get a good idea on how they are built.

I dont think it would be to hard, what do you guys think?

No to bad, i plan on making mine out of metal

How did your wheels come out? Did you use a spoke torque wrench and a dial gauge?

No to bad, i plan on making mine out of metal

How did your wheels come out? Did you use a spoke torque wrench and a dial gauge?

If you plan on doing several sets of wheels, building from metal is better, but if you're only doing one set, the wood stand is all you need, is far less expensive, and could be done in 15 minutes. It all depends on how often it will ever be used.

Dial indicators are completely unnecessary with the contact screws he has on each side.

I used this stand once and threw it away because I don't have to much space in my garage. The wheels came out pretty good considering it was my first time doing it and I did not use the torgue wrench. If you want to make one out of metal, you must get metal pretty cheap, otherwise I would rather buy the Park Stand for $99.

I've done about 6-7 wheels on this stand. I use a piece of 1/4" threaded rod as my indicator. when the wheel is 95% true, I install it on the bike and give it one last adjustment. using a small pointer taped to the swingarm or fork leg.

Jan31002.jpg

I always true wheels on the bike with a riged up pointer, always worked good for me :thumbsup:

I always true wheels on the bike with a rigged up pointer, always worked good for me :thumbsup:

That's how I did mine too. You just have to make sure that you make a good pointer that won't be easily bumped or bent. :ride:

Im building it as i type this. Now for the pointer, what did you use? I do not want to scratch my new rims. Any suggestions?

I always true wheels on the bike with a riged up pointer, always worked good for me :thumbsup:

+1, though i like two dial indicators

IMG_3733Medium.jpg

^^^ You should put half your truing effort into chain maintenance. :thumbsup:

j/k :ride:

Ha.. Road salt got to it after a few days of winter D/S riding. It got maintained right into the trash

Im building it as i type this. Now for the pointer, what did you use? I do not want to scratch my new rims. Any suggestions?

zip ty on swingarm or fork,done this for years

• Like 1

I did a set with a 5 gal bucket turned upside down with a wooden dowel sharpened into a point taped to the top.

Left the wheel on the bike and used tie downs and weights to ensure that neither moved unless I wanted it to.

I did the run out first (front to back) then went for left to right truing

Not the best method but if you take your time it will come out pretty good.