Sign in to follow this  

Do Tires Have a Shelf Life?

I bought a Dunlop 739 A/T at my local store, and it looked like it had been sitting

around for quite a while. I did a 2 hour race and the tire looks like it has gone to

hell and back.

Someone mentioned tires have a shelf life until they start to break down. Is this

true? Does anyone have a link? Feedback?

Depends on how and where the are stored. On a rack, in the sun up high maybe a year. In the dark, in a plastic bag, in a cool, dry basement, a few years.

From the moment a tire is made, it begins to 'dry out'. As it drys out, it becomes less elastic, the tire wears faster, has diminished traction capabilities and becomes more prone to dry rot.

This is one of the reasons for 'tire sales' - get rid of the old stock at low prices and hopefully no one will complain because the tire was cheap.

sure they do. there's too many combinations of ingredients to say "X" is how long a tire will last, but leaving them exposed to the elements will dry rot them just like anything else.

edit: dammit William..... :thumbsup:

Edited by robw122
he beat me to it.

Depends on how and where the are stored. On a rack, in the sun up high maybe a year. In the dark, in a plastic bag, in a cool, dry basement, a few years.

From the moment a tire is made, it begins to 'dry out'. As it drys out, it becomes less elastic, the tire wears faster, has diminished traction capabilities and becomes more prone to dry rot.

This is one of the reasons for 'tire sales' - get rid of the old stock at low prices and hopefully no one will complain because the tire was cheap.

That's kind of what I figured. The thing that sucks is I payed full price for this

thing (I was in a bind). I'm going to try and take it back.

Yeah, if you paid full price and have had it only a little time and it is def. failing due to age/dry rot (and you did not soak it in fuel and try to burn it) then they 'accidentally' sold you 'NOS'. You will not get a refund (unless the place is a real stand up store) but a pro rated discount on a new one.

Well I bought it from Cycle Gear and they have a 100% satisfaction gaurantee on everything.

If they hassle me, I can always threaten to huck the tire at one of them.

I never really looked on knobbies, but car tires have a born on date of what week and year they were made.

Sometimes new tires made a long time ago will have kind of a shiny look to them.

your tire will have a date code, I once contacted Kenda because a tire had started chunking on the first ride - they got me to send them a pic of the damage and tire date code which I noticed was 3 years old, they replaced the tire no questions asked, shipped free to my door. I now check date codes at the store and ask for a newer one if it's older than 6 months.

on my CR i bought it had sit in a barn for awhile and i went for one ride and chunked the piss out of it. Also happens with our rubber tire log skidders, after the tires get old the lugs start to chunk.

depends on the tire manufacturer, Kenda has it on the outside in an elongated oval "box", I think there are 2 - one with the tire serial and one with the date code.

Update: So I took the tire back, hassled with the store manager. SHE didn't believe offroad

tires had a shelf life. She also asked if the tire was a soft terrain or a hard terrain. I said it

was a hard terrain. She asked how I could tell. I told her it said "desert" on the sidewall. She didn't

believe me and proceeded to look it up in some catalog. LOL.

She then took it to the back room, came out with a brand new tire, and apologized. Apparently

the tire they sold me has a date stamped on it. That date was mid 2009!

If the tires are stored properly (away from sunlight and weather) they will last for years. Call and ask the MFG for verification. When I was a service MGR for Firestone the company rule was no tires over 4yrs were to be sold. Its NOT that the tires were damaged from storage but more of a liability issue. Their was a big push from one of those investigative reporters about manufacture dates a while back and it prompted this time frame. Again, not because there is an actual issue, but due to uninformed assumptions/public opinion.

MX tires and women should both come with a date code.