Sign in to follow this  

taking it down to the frame, rebuild??

I have a 82 xl 185 that I am going to take down to the frame for a paint job and try my best to get it tip top. NOT going into the engine though. Anything in particular I should freshen up while I have it apart. Bushings, bearings, seals, etc??

Count on doing the swingarm bushings, and you will just have tio check everything else out as you go. If things are sloppy then repair replace as needed. I am doing a restoration on your bike older brother. (74 XL175)

Thanks wildweasel. I am not going to try to restore it to original appearance and will put some led lights on it. The electrical system has been totally hacked up but I want it streetable. Here in Georgia anything older than 86 doesn't need a title to get a plate. I am rationalizing fixing it up some so I could flip it next time gas prices spike out of sight. Truth is I am already so upside down on this old critter I would be hard pressed letting it go.

I have discovered working on bikes is fun and a whole lot less expensive than my mustang. Something to keep me busy.

It's good to see people keeping the old stuff alive. I would say bearings, seals are a good investment and don't cost alot. Make sure the wiring is in good shape, check the connections to see they are tight,make sure the wire is tight in the plugs ,that it has not come lose or has been flexedto the point of broken strands at the plug. You want the first fire to be a happy time not a pissed off trouble shoot time. You may(or may not) be interested in this one I did a year ago, note the plywood to hold the bike, made life much easier at assembly.http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=949343&highlight=bike+story+the+rebirth

thumpharder that is a cool project and good idea way of not being constantly hunched over. Don't know how I would get the bike up there though.

I am going to totally rewire this bike partly because I think it needs it and partly because I want the experience so I know how to tackle this kind of stuff.

I just had a buddy help me pick it up there,of course the engine was out, when it was all done we rolled it down a ramp. Sure makes working a ton easier in the long run.

as for the rewire, just get a book, one at a time, no sweat, the good part of rewiring from scratch is you will have some idea of why this goes here and that goes there.

Enjoy, and hide the receipts (no honey I've had those parts for years, now I have a use for them)

Miles? Compression? A friend's Dad of 90+ years young at the very least says he re-rings every engine he removes, car, front loader, compressor, etc.. If the compression is so-so just do it.

Make sure the wiring loom is earthed well where the green CDI wire bolts to the frame - you may even have to scrape some paint off the frame. I have seen quite a few bikes that will not start after a frame paint job... and powdercoating is even worse. The electrics need to earth properly to the steel frame to complete the circuit.

srgnz that is an EXCELLENT piece of advise. thank you.