Sign in to follow this  

OEM head-base gasket install question

The search netted the following:

OEM head gasked - copper spray NOT needed or recommended.

OEM base gasket - copper spray NOT needed.

Is this correct?

The search netted the following:

OEM head gasked - copper spray NOT needed or recommended.

OEM base gasket - copper spray NOT needed.

Is this correct?

It depends.

Base gasket never needed.

Head gasket, 94mm bore and smaller standard compression and OEM cams Never needed.

94mm and larger bore and aftermarket cams YES, always.

94mm and larger bore and aftermarket cams YES, increased CR piston always.

What specifically is your set up? You'll get a specific answer for your question.

It's a bone stock 2000 S engine, I ordered stock oem piston, rings, pin and gaskets.

I also read the piston and rings are supposed to be installed with no oil. Is that to help them seat faster?

I have a regular hone which is what I'll be using instead of the ball hone just to deglaze the cylinder walls.

It's a bone stock 2000 S engine, I ordered stock oem piston, rings, pin and gaskets.

Clean components, no Copper coat required. 43 FTLB TQ on the four head bolts,,, yes, the manual is wrong.

I also read the piston and rings are supposed to be installed with no oil. Is that to help them seat faster?

Yes dry, just a thumb print smudge of oil at the bottom of the skirt front and rear.

Yes so they seat,, AT ALL.

I have a regular hone which is what I'll be using instead of the ball hone just to deglaze the cylinder walls.

No, not a great idea. A spring loaded ridged stone hone will just skip in the Nikasil plated Cyl.. Takes a Ball flex hone to do this right.. Or a real, mandrel ridged hone..

:thumbsup:
Clean components, no Copper coat required. 43 FTLB TQ on the four head bolts,,, yes, the manual is wrong.

Yes dry, just a thumb print smudge of oil at the bottom of the skirt front and rear.

Yes so they seat,, AT ALL.

No, not a great idea. A spring loaded ridged stone hone will just skip in the Nikasil plated Cyl.. Takes a Ball flex hone to do this right.. Or a real, mandrel ridged hone..

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

This was an unexpected breakdown on a tired engine, I cleaned up and reused the valves, I'll reuse the slightly stretched cam chain and I'm reusing the conn rod. I just don't feel this engine can take the added stress of a BB, maybe next year I'll have saved enough for a fresh engine plus the SSW BB offer :ride: