Sign in to follow this  

Would a CRF250r be good for my needs?

Also, the reason this isn't in "What bike should I buy?" is because I don't have much of a choice what to get, as I really can't find many other bikes to pick from. Anyways, I'd be using the bike on the beach, for transportation around campus(big campus and doesn't need to be street legal), and in rock-desert(desert with compacted dirt/sand). The reason I'm choosing a motocross bike is because I want the extra power, and again I don't have much else to choose from anyway. So how well would the bike work for these things? And I heard that some have valve issues(I know I know, many threads on this) but since it's a motocross bike, I figured most of the people use it for motocross. So whats the chance of it having valve problems if I don't ride it that hard? And how powerful are KLR650s? There is also one of those, but I'm deciding against it since it's 400lbs. and might not be as good on dirt or sand. Am I thinking right?

Sorry for the block of text, and too many factors to make a tl;dr.

Are you prepared to change oil every week? Are there no stoplights to get the bike to boil over? No ignition or any other anti-theft device doesn't bother you? Just a few questions to start from...

The DRZ650 has a lot of linear power and is a very durable machine. Not real good for MX due to the weight and bulk. The bike is a pig! Chances are, you will not have issues with the valves until you hit the beach. If the sand gets into the intake track past the filter, the valves will go real fast. Sealing the airbox is what would need to be done. I think the Crf250x would be a much better choice for what your looking for. The R is designed for hi-level competition with reliability not at the top of the list. Not that it isn't a reliable bike, but performance is #1 when it comes to designing a high level race machine.

yeah 06 doesnt like to go slow lol so i dont know how good it would be for you

you need to buy a ktm 450 exc.

Exc is a dirt bike with a plate. Plenty of power for sand also.

Very solid bikes. 250lbs and electric start. Also has a head and tail light.

KTM is a good looking bike also.

a klr650 that is a old man bike. More street than dirt for long halls dual sport touring bike.

another good bike that will never break is a xr400.

Are you prepared to change oil every week? Are there no stoplights to get the bike to boil over? No ignition or any other anti-theft device doesn't bother you? Just a few questions to start from...

I'm prepared to, but is it 100% necessary to change it that often? I was thinking around every two or three weeks depending on how much riding I do. What do you mean by boilover?And yes, there are stoplights. No ignition doesn't really bother me because even if someone did steal it, the campus is isolated so I'd probably see it/him again on it.

Anything but a orange bike.

The r isn't a to and fro kinda ride. The x is more suited. So would a wr250. Just don't buy a dam ktm

I'm prepared to, but is it 100% necessary to change it that often? I was thinking around every two or three weeks depending on how much riding I do. What do you mean by boilover?And yes, there are stoplights. No ignition doesn't really bother me because even if someone did steal it, the campus is isolated so I'd probably see it/him again on it.

The R is prone to overheat quickly if you are sitting still for too long with it running. There needs to be airflow through the radiators to keep it cool. Oil changes every 2-3 weeks is fine as long as you ride it twice a week for about 2 hrs at a time. Like I said, this bike was designed for one purpose only, hi-level competition. This isn't a street bike.

Anything but a orange bike.

The r isn't a to and fro kinda ride. The x is more suited. So would a wr250. Just don't buy a dam ktm

why did you say that ? I own and ride a 06 crf250 06 crf450 05 yz125

05 450exc and the KTM is a great dual sport bike