Sign in to follow this  

Throttle grip not zeroing

Hey guys i just replaced my bars (not the grips yet so no glue involved) and the throttle grip will not return to zero when i rev. So i can twist to open the throttle , let go and walk away and the bike will stay at that rpm until i come back and manually twist the throttle back the other direction. This is a bit dangerous so i'd love some advice on how to fix this. If the cables were too short i would think i wouldn't be able to twist the throttle on at all. Help!

Hey guys i just replaced my bars (not the grips yet so no glue involved) and the throttle grip will not return to zero when i rev. So i can twist to open the throttle , let go and walk away and the bike will stay at that rpm until i come back and manually twist the throttle back the other direction. This is a bit dangerous so i'd love some advice on how to fix this. If the cables were too short i would think i wouldn't be able to twist the throttle on at all. Help!

Check your cable routing...it is pinching somewhere.

+1 what dirk said but did you go with a higher rise bar? That may account for it and you may need a re-route of your cables. Most likely just a pinch though.

Turn your bars from side-to-side full range also after you get the pinch fixed to make sure the engine rpms are not affected by full range motion as will be the case if the cables are too short for the rise of the new bar.

yes not fun when you take a sharp left and the throttle opens up. well it depends on your idea of fun really. im indifferent

Hey guys, there are hand gaurds if thats what you mean by "bark busters" but they were also on the old bars and if i take them off i still have the problem.I took the cables out and pulled on them , they snap back into place or 'zero' themselves.

once i put it all back together i played with the barrel adjusters and the top cable is too tight. If i tighten it the throttle wont' move back without considerable force, if i loosen it i can get to the point where it occasionally moves back to zero on its own. So my guess is if i can loosen that even more the thing will zero fine. Is there another adjustment maybe down near the carb that i could use to loosen this cable, its really close.

make sure your cables are not frayed somewhere either. That was a problem I had, I couldn't figure out why my throttle kept sticking til I saw a fray tha twas catching on the plastic housing.

Ok doods, i traced the cables back all the way to the carb. To do so i had to jiggle the cables and take the gas tank off. It looks like theres a shielding near the rear of the gas tank that may have been pinching. Its not really clear if that was it but the throttles working.I'll try and post some vids later.