Sign in to follow this  

Seized 540 at 2.2 miles

The matter appears resolved.

Edited by halmca

To clarify things: this is an aftermarket 540 kit with steel sleeve. Cause of failure could be number of things but likely lack of clearance.

What did the vendor say the price to fix it would be?

Good Luck,

MrHix

That sucks.

The oval bore is likely from the seizure, since it's rather difficult to bore a oval hole.

The sad lesson here, and it's one that much of today's market place reveals: neither American craftsmanship nor American business ethics even stands in the shadow of what it once was.

I say this as a patriotic citizen of my country, who proudly wore its uniform a few decades back, and whose father and grandfather did likewise. Perhaps during better times.

A time when an American machinist could put the rest of the word to shame has reversed, and a time when "the customer was always right" has morphed into a period of "the customer is always wrong".

Cest la vie, I suppose. It's sad but true. I think a close examination of the transport of our jobs off shore has more to do with quality than with the price of labor.

I will today order a KTM-produced big bore kit, produced in a formerly Axis country, and never again be tempted to utilize aftermarket, home-spun crap under any circumstances. Certainly not in a brilliantly designed and manufactured product like the KTM.

Maybe your results will vary, but is it worth the risk?

It turned out not to be for me.

The only reason I'm not suing these clowns is because they don't have anything I want.

my Grandfather was an old school machinist...born the day after Christmas 1900 and lived to to 102 years old...probably none of those guys are left but todays computer aided machining is pretty darn good, just don't take away their modern equipment. :ride:

by posting the shipping address you al but posted the individuals name...i seriously doubt he sent you anything but a quality product and/or u receiced an out of round jug...probably hundreds of people have had great results from his work and he has a reputation of a very stand-up guy...if there was even a small chance he messed up i have no doubt that he would have made it right.

it appears there was and lubrication issue.

that all i've got to say.

:thumbsup:

P.S. more info can be found here>>> http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=435084

I will believe for all time that the cause was sloppy machine work and that only a fool (like me) would rely on a shade tree operation in lieu of a factory, Austrian made and finished part, for use in a KTM motorcycle.

I am especially keen that none of this guy's work will ever find its way into my bike again, thus the offer to send me more junk at his cost is an empty offer which I'll disrespectfully delcine.

If this is regarding Dave Hopkins of Kirkland, WA, you are way off base.

If you create a post, please do not delete your posts and simply say it has been resolved. People spent time trying to help you and therefore you have an obligation to them to let them know how it worked out.

The matter appears to be resoved.
If you create a post, please do not delete your posts and simply say it has been resolved. People spent time trying to help you and therefore you have an obligation to them to let them know how it worked out.

...no kidding!

...u trash the guy...threaten to sue(post other site)...and this is ur response?!? :ride:

:thumbsup::thumbsdn: