Sign in to follow this  

piston stamp

i am having trouble sourcing another piston for my sons cr85 , the barrel is off a cr85. i have just ordered another piston from the honda dealer . we ordered the pre 2004 which was wrong now we have ordered the post 2004. i have just looked at the origional piston which is stamped 46.95 which makes me believe the barrel has been sleeved .can anyone help please

i am having trouble sourcing another piston for my sons cr85 , the barrel is off a cr85. i have just ordered another piston from the honda dealer . we ordered the pre 2004 which was wrong now we have ordered the post 2004. i have just looked at the origional piston which is stamped 46.95 which makes me believe the barrel has been sleeved .can anyone help please

If your original piston has 46.95 on it you have a 2002 cylinder(47mm standard bore size) or a 2002 complete bike.

But on the international bike the standard bore size is 46mm(bore size) that's not available in the USA.

If you had a 2003-2007, the bore would be 47.5, piston size is 47.43(standard bore size)

The 2002 cylinder had a cast iron sleeve that you can bore out to the next piston size..................2003-2007 on had a Nikasil bore that you can not just bore to the next size piston size. You can but the cylinder bore will need re plating of the Nikasil.

Hope this helps,

Gene

Thanks hitec" really appreciate your comments , i thought i had a 2004 bike as the stamp on the engine reads - HEO7E5016974 , the 2002 barrel adds up now and i have taken the cylinder in to machinest today with a new piston ,they said they can rebore the cylinder which means that you are right when you say that it must me a 2002 cylinder because of the steel sleeve .

i am also thinking now that i should have rebored to a larger size while i am paying for this up grade . anyway you live and learn and thanks again for you clear and precise info .