Sign in to follow this  

Whats wrong with my ktm 400 rxc

I was wondering if someone could help me out. I have a KTM 400 rxc. It's a '95 and since the day I bought it, it will not start after it gets hot. i clean the carb changed the spark plug and is still the same. If you let it idle no mater how long it will idle perfect, you can shut it down and can start right up. the only problem is when you start riding it gets hot ,and when i come to a stop if i dont let the throttle go it will stay on, but once i let the throttle go after 2 or 3 sec dies. Someone told me it might be the plug but i changed it, some people are saying that might be the coil.. I really have no clue. So, let me know if you could help me, all comments are welcome. thank you

Right out of the gate, I'm thinking valve clearance. Time to check em. If they are out of spec, and you keep riding it, damage can occur.

Valves or jetting or both. A lean pilot will make it start hard as well as tight valves.

thanks for the reply. i am new to the dirt bike. i had my friend clean the carb and the starting jet 55 (choke jet) snapped in half. so i looked on the ktm oem parts and the offer only the 45. that was big diff on the number, so somebody fixed that for me to perfect condition, it runs good and it has a lot of power. how do i know if the valves need clearance, would the bike have less power or something else.

Thank you