Sign in to follow this  

06 450EXC Won't Idle Cold, but Fine When Warm...

Just as the title states. I just picked up a 2006 KTM450 exc, and when the bike is cold (i.e. first start of the day or after it sits at work for 8 hours before I head home) it refuses to idle with or with out choke on. the only way to keep it running is to turn the idle up or keep your hand on the throttle applying a steady amount. If you go the route of turning the idle up, then once he bike has warmed up, when I stop at a stop sign or traffic light etc the bike idles extremely high.

I have torn the carburetor apart to inspect jets etc and the settings are: Main Jet 178, Pilot Jet 42, Needle Clip is 4 down from the top and the Air screw is approx 2 1/2 turns out...From what my manual says these settings are all the same if not richer than stock

What could the problem be and where should I look now to fix this problem? bike is an 06 and has 110 hours, 2700 miles and I believe is a stock to pend, so I am possibly thinking that it could maybe be low on compression possibly???

Any advice or input on what I should check, or recommended settings for this biek would be much appreciated! Thanks! :thumbsup:

42 or 45 pilot a OCEMP Sudco needle and a 158 or 160 main...Honda diaphram and o-ring mod. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

with the stock jetting, long AP squirt and broomstick needle the bike will never perform like it should... :worthy: ...but replacing the pilot will probably get it running.

:ride: