NEWS RELEASE

USDA FOREST SERVICE

SIERRA NATIONAL FOREST

For Immediate Release

October 13, 2011

Contact Rebecca A Garcia

559-297-0706 EXT 4804

“007 Public Field Trip”

Clovis, CA – The Sierra National Forest is seeking public comment for the 007 Motorized Trail Project Proposal by conducting a public field trip on October 22nd 10am to 3pm and will meet at the junctions of County Road 274 and Forest Road 6S42 (Central Camp Road).

The purpose of the field trip is seeking comments for the “007 Motorized Trail Project Proposal” for alignment and trail designation.”The project location is in the Central Camp area, near North Fork, California.

Submit comments to the Responsible Official: David Martin, District Ranger, Bass Lake Ranger District, 57003 Road 225, North Fork, CA 93646; 559-877-2218; or email to comments-pacificsouthwest-sierra-minarets-mariposa@fs.fed.us (subject line “007 Motorized Trail Comment”); FAX 559-877-3108. For those who which to hand-deliver comments, office hours are Monday through Friday, 8am to 4:30pm.

For individuals or representatives from each organization, submitted substantive comments must be signed or verify identity upon request. Acceptable formats for electronic comments are email message, plain text (.txt), rich text (.rtf), Word (.doc), or HTML (.pdf). Copies of the Proposed Action and additional information may be obtained from Linda McPhail at the address listed above or phone 559-877-2218 ext. 3200.

I have heard from a few friends about the meeting but not really what they are trying to do. Is this to make the 07s designated routes?

I have heard from a few friends about the meeting but not really what they are trying to do. Is this to make the 07s designated routes?

Everyone who uses the trail should show up,dirt bike riders,mountain bikers,hikers,hippies,tree huggers,etc. forest service wants to make it a mixed use trail,we all just need to get along.

Edited by ADAM_3rd
oops

Be sure to be specific in your comment in regard to multiple use or mixed use. These terms often exclude motorized use these days.

I support multiple use designation, including motorized use.

A benefit including motorized use is funding and more volunteers. Trails designated for motorized use are eligable for Green sticker grant funds.

wen TO THE MEETINGt. It was just a hand out the maps thing, sign the list for emails about the trail and comment period til 11-01-11. Looks like it is gonna stay as is except for some water bars where the ruts are, least thats Linda said to me.

Thanks for the update. I was out of town for the weekend so couldn't make it but I'll be watching for more info on this one for sure.

We went to the meeting. Comments need to be submitted asap. We had dirt bikes on our trucks and some guy on a mountain bike made a wise crack, "now don't you go tearing up our trails". I thought mountain bikers were on our side but I guess not always. Don't mountain bikers realize that dirt bikers created most the the trails they ride? And that wilderness designation blocks all mechanized travel, including mountain bikes? Where I live the greenies are closing all the good mountain bike trails. First it's the dirt bikes then bicycles, then even hikers get banned. We need to work together to keep access open for all.

• Like 1