Sign in to follow this  

Wireless bicycle speedometer

I searched around and found some older threads on this but I was wondering if they have improved over the years. As the title says, will a wireless bicycle speedometer work? Problems in the other threads were the pickup will be too far from the bars and my friend tried one on a custom harley and said ignition noise affected them. Since the YZF's use coil on plug ignition I'm thinking that won't be a problem but the distance issue might still be there or maybe they have improved. Not looking for anything super accurate - just a rough idea of how many miles we ride. Any info? Thanks. Clay

I agree about the handheld GPS, it will come in much handier anyway. You can save all of your tracks, and it helps you net to get lost! A good one will give you current speed (if you mount it on your bars.) avg speed and max speed, as well as mileage.

If you really want to try out the bike spedo, make sure it supports up to 21" wheels or it will be useless!

I searched around a good bit late last night and the problem is it looks like the maximum distance they have between sensor and the head unit is 30cm or about a foot. Obviously that won't work. The hand held GPS is an idea I didn't think of. I'll look around some more and might play with lengthening the wires on one of the super cheap bike speedo's and see what happens - not much to lose if I kill it. Thanks, Clay

I have tried to use a wireless bicycle speedometer on a Yamaha and it did not work. The ignition interfered with it and rendered it useless. The wireless unit is extremely sensitive to electrical interference which is not a problem on a bicycle.

I have used a Cateye Enduro with a wired lead successfully on two motorcycles for a number of years. This may require some lengthening of the leads with appropriate wire and some careful soldering, mounting the sensor on the brake cover and using JB Weld to glue a magnet onto the front brake disk in the appropriate spot (just below a mounting bolt).

I also use a GPS and the difference between the Speedo and GPS mileage is usually within a mile or two of the speedo.

Great info. I wouldn't have thought the YZF's would have had the ignition problem - oh well. I bought a cheap Bell and cut the harness. It's got some sort of twisted pair made up of varnished wire. I'm going to try to extend it but it's gonna be iffy. Did your version have "real" wire in the harness. They brag about the toughness of the wire so I'm hoping it does. Thanks to everyone for the information. Clay