Sign in to follow this  

bringing back to life white plastics

Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I use it on my back fender and it seems to work pretty good. Maybe not as good as new plastic but pretty good.

SOFT SCRUB w/ BLEACH works very well.... you could get the PLATIC RENEW kit and get them nice and smooth first then scrub them with the soft scrub. or as state buy a whole new kit and soft scrub just the tank....

Carburetor cleaner works good as well. over time it dimishes the shine from the plastic however. i just use armor all after washing my bike and it keeps them looking fresh.

I use a degrease cleaner to get all the dirt off and then spray the plastics with a silicone type spray (motorex or rock oil) to give them a good shine :thumbsup: helps loads when you wash the bike afterwards too.

If the plastics were yellowed by leaking grease (back of front fender from steering bearings is common) it's nearly impossible to get that off because it gets deep into the plastic, but you can sand some of the darker color off.

The rest of the plastics clean up really well with a magic eraser.

Magic erasers get rid of the shine but prep the surface perfectly for applying fresh graphics/stickers. Magic erasers should also be used to prep brand new plastics for graphics or else your graphics will lift within half a season.

DO NOT use plastic renew or any other shiny top coating on plastics prior to applying graphics since the glue will adhere to the coating but the coating will lift off of the plastic really fast making your graphic peel off and not be able to re-stick.

Plastic renew is actually the same as Future floor polish (a polymer) at a much higher price point so don't bother with it - buy Future instead, a few coats and your plastics will shine like new.

if you want your bike to look brand new after you clean it - spray the whole bike with Pledge multi-surface (actually you can just use normal pledge too but the multi smells real good :thumbsup: ) and let it sit until you are ready for your next ride at which point you can give it a quick wipe down (or not) before you head out. It also lets you wash off the dirt much easier after the ride.

i haven't had any adverse seat effects due to spraying pledge on my seat, besides, who uses their seat???? You're standing 99% of the time and holding on to the tank with your legs/knees and even when you're sitting through a corner, most of your weight is loading up the outside peg....

i haven't had any adverse seat effects due to spraying pledge on my seat, besides, who uses their seat???? You're standing 99% of the time and holding on to the tank with your legs/knees and even when you're sitting through a corner, most of your weight is loading up the outside peg....

correct....unless you are GENERALLY a newbie:busted:

joe

huh?:thumbsup: anything?? this is false

Joe

i should have been more specific. don't spray ARMOR ALL on the seat because it will make it slippery.

it even says it on the bottle to not use it on motorcycle seats.

Use carb cleaner to get scuffs off plastic, then use Plexus Plastic Polish. It will put a good shine back on it.

Cheap plain non collor3ed tooth paste will work wonders on white plastic. It has a very mild abrasive and a bleaching affect. Also power purple degreaser from home depot or somewhere works well too.

If all of these products work, then I guess my conventional rubbing / buffing compounds and glazes will really do the job? My CR plastic is in fabulous shape at the moment but my ATV's... I know what I'll be doing saturday. :thumbsup: