Sign in to follow this  

Tranny Clunk

Just finished rebuilding my 2004 CR250R after a hole in the radiator led to a total system meltdown. Got the clyinder replated, split the cases cleaned everything good, replaced all bearings.. shifted it while it was apart and it was great!!! put it all back together and something isnt right. Its binding in every gear. I can shift from 1N2345 but its not right. Neutral is binding.. it will spin but with effrot.... so now I am just beyond frustrated... worked great half way apart and when i pulled the cases together something happened...

Which leads me to my question. Is it possible to split the cases without taking everything on the clutch side apart? Can I simply pull the flywheel & cylinder off and pull it?

Im just so bummed... just totally got it back together just to take it apart. Normally wouldnt be the end of the world, but with newborn twins and a 3 year old its a little tough to get free time.

My end goal in all this is to sell the bike. Between the kids and everything going on I just don't have the time anymore. I mostly ride long hauls in Baja.. and as much as I want to keep the bike... i have to give way to the era of 4stokes....

something is binding. hard to say what or where. theres special tools you should use when putting honda cases together and taking them apart. i know alot of people dont believe in proper tools and just use a hammer or suck cases together with the bolts but your asking for trouble if you half ass it. how did you pull the cases together ? any how it dont sound like you have a big issue, something just crooked. pull it apart and put it back together paying special attention everything slides together straight

I used a case splitter to pull apart and the cases and a crank puller to mate them back up. I'm going to pull it all apart this weekend. I was just curious if I could split them without removing the clutch side cover. I'm just going to try it and see how it shakes out. Hopefully I can re-use all the gaskets