Sign in to follow this  

Softening suspension for woods riding

I'm about 135 pounds, 5' 7" and i do a lot of tight woods riding with my 03 rm 125 and it seems to throw me all over the place and not really absorb anything. I always seem to be getting thrown off the bike and i can't control it very well (it may be me also, i'm not blaming the bike) I have played with the clickers and haven't really noticed a huge difference, if any at all. Where should I start? I know nothing about suspension and I am trying to learn so please help me out. I'm also reading other threads to try and get an idea. Thanks.

you need much softer springs and a revalve, no way around it.

Just a beginner here, but here are some of the few things I know...1) First order is to get your suspension in good working order (shock linkage lubed, fork bushings, front and rear serviced) 2) ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS get the correct springs for your weight. Race tech, and MXtech both have spring calculators but several people have said they have had problems with the spring rate suggestions being off when the online calculators have been used. Plenty of info here, just do a search.

Racetech spring calculator results are too high for trail riding!!!!!!!!

Static and rider sag values will get you closer. Here is an example; I weigh 175lbs plus gear and ride single track trails and like .34-.36kg fork springs.