XR600 problem

Hi, I have a problem with a 1996 xr600, I did top end and valve works, but after this the bike doesn´t run, I checked the T mark with tue piston on the top and the 4 valves close and the 3 marks in the sproket at 9 12 and 3.

I was thinking maybe could be the automatic decompressor system in the camshaft, somebody Know if exist an especific position for the decompressor system on the camshaft.....................HElP

Had something similar when I put mine back together. I kicked and kicked and kicked but nothing. Then, went back to the book and read a little trouble shooting.

This sounds dumb, but check the spark plug wire and ensure it was connected. My six year old pointed this one out to me.

Second, for some reason, mine was flooding initially. Choke off, full throttle and ten strokes to clear it. Then, half choke, find the compression stroke and kick it over. Took about two times of this procedure, but it worked.

Did you pull the plug and check for spark? Might have missed a wire connection when getting it back together.

Another dumb one, but check to ensure the fuel is on.

Not looking to insult your intelligence, but in the frustration of getting things back together, the little things can get missed.

Assuming you have all the springs and pins, the reassembly need to be done as follows.

1. Install the small spring in to the hole in the cam shaft.

2. Position the decompression cam with the side marked m

"m" towards the shaft end and install it on the cam. Carefully index the slot in the decompression cam with the spring in the cam shaft and the locating pin. Make sure they are properly meshed.

4. Position the reverse compression cam with the cam lobe side going on first and instal the reverse decompression cam onto the cam shaft.

5. Align the pin on the backside of the one way clutch with the receptacle int he reverse decomp cam and push the one way clutch all the way until it bottoms. Install the springs and rollers into the one way clutch.

6. Install the thrust washer

7. Hold the thrust washer up against the one way clutch and rotate the one way clutch counter clockwise as viewed from the decamp end of the cam. The one way clutch should only be able to go counter clockwise. If can rotate both directions then the springs and rollers are in there wrong or need replacing.

8. Install the sprocket holder. It can only go on one way and then press it on to the camshaft until it bottoms on the cam shaft shoulder.

9. Finally, install the bearings on each end

That is the procedure from the book, but the pictures are probably needed. It sounds like that proper install is critical to the auto decomp working, but not necessarily to ensuring the bike will start.

Not sure if this will help, but fingers are crossed.

Had a hard time starting mine this weekend and then realized it was starving for fuel. Check fuel air mixture screw. If you did anything to the carb, that might be another place to start. What about your manual decomp lever. Is that adjusted properly?

What digit do when trying to start it. Was there any sign of it wanting to start.

hi everybody, I was checking all you say but I was watching that my spark was dry after kick the bike for 10 minutes, the gas tank is full, the fuel line is not obstructed. When I disarm the bike I did valve work and when I finished I check it and was OK, the manual decompress is ok because I removed the cable from the head cover and Nothing........I was thinking disarm again

?

It's either gas or tappet gaps and timing..Recheck all your timing/gaps etc,,ie,,head cover off and make sure you have things correctly lined up for firing,,also get the carb off and thoroughly clean it internally...personally I say get rid of the auto decomp cam stuff next time your in there.,easier to start and one less thing to go wrong,,manual handle bar decomp lever is easy enough to figure out for starting,.

Do the tappet gaps first as if they are a bit tight it'll always be a bear to start.,,.begin there.,.then carb.,..that fails then head cover off and recheck timing marks for ignition.,plainly tappet gaps need to be done again after that..

I assume you've got the spring and plunger in the head that works the auto decomp system on the Cam,,easy to forget or miss if you're not familiar with it as I found out..,Solved that problem by removing the entire auto decomp mechanism from the Cam on my 89..,well not quite,,had a spare Cam with it all off so I used it,.instant success.

Edited by Horri

I think a good question is did it run before you did the valves?

Quite,,,only get half the story most times on fixit type forums.,,strangely not dissimilar to Computer help forums...What led to the valve job would be another question..

• 1 month later...