Sign in to follow this  

Collarbone surgery..... rest period ?

Its been about 6 weeks since I've had the surgery.

How long do you guys who've had the surgery wait till you go back in the gym and start lightly lifting upper body ?

My Doctor says 8 weeks but I'm just curious if I can start a little early.

And yes I understand I should follow my Dr's advice however 8 weeks is subjective.

I'm not talking about lifting heavy, just getting some 5lb dumbells

When I had my surgery, I had an appt with my dr every 2 weeks to check my current x-rays, I was fully healed around 4 weeks, saw physio for a month and did everything they told me to do. It was 8 weeks before I was back on the bike.

Have you not had any follow up appointments to see your progress?

The worst thing I can be on this forum is "A fly on the wall" If you have trusted a doctor to cut you open and put plates, screws, or rods in your collarbone, you have to get your activity advice from him or her. They were there, I wasn't.

In my perosnal experince with having my collarbone plated was that I was racing at full steam ahead in 4 weeks and the doctor said I was ready to go! I didn't do something the doc did not want me to do, he said I was ready to race 4 weeks!

He released me to start exercising at 2 weeks.

One of my teammates (Barry Hawk) back in 2001 broke his collarbone at a GNCC and was racing at the next round 2 weeks later! The dctors told him if he could stand the pain he could ride, so he did and finished in the top 10 overall!

Like Dr. Mark said though, your doctor knows best. I have NOT listened to doctors orders quite a few times and it always comes back to bite me. Listen to your doctor, not your buddies.

Hope you heal quick so you can get back out on the bike!

Jason

Jason said that "Your doctor knows best" and quoted me.

Does "Your doctor know best"? I really have no clue.

But unlike getting your $100 deposit back when you change your mind on a new bike, buyer's remorse isn't possible in the surgery business. For that reason, I have found it best to side step this issue when people ask me whether or not I agree with their doctor's post op instructions, because I don't know if the screws when in tight or when in stripped. That is a function of the surgeon's technique or lack of technique.

Its way better to find out from your surgeon what you should be expecting BEFORE you get cut on. He/she knows what his/her skill level is and this is the way they telegraph it to you.

By example, I know in advance that most of my patients are extreme lunatics and tailor their procedures for early return of function. Does the average Ortho do that? No, most of their patients live in a retirement home.

The upshot of this is that people can choose their surgeon, but have really no recourse in changing the rehab perscription (or lack of one) after the deal is done.