Sign in to follow this  

What's a good first truck for MX?

Suggestions for a first truck

I dont know what I should get for a first vehicle. I want something with a bed (no trailors). I was thinking Tacoma but that's too expensive. I like Dodge but Rams are expensive as well. Definitely no Fords. Any suggestions for trucks that arent too expensive and can fit 2 dirtbikes?

Silverado / Sierra 1500 . Mostly american made and you can buy as old a model as you can afford.

Edited by JJMILLER1
Re-read, he hates FORD

nothing wrong with older fords. get a pre 2001 4 cyl ford ranger with a stickshift and it will go forever. auto trans is the weakest link in any car

If you're price range is low, and all you need it for is to haul two dirt bikes and get from point a to point b, I'd suggest a Ford Ranger or Chevy S10.

Bare bones models can be had for very very cheap.

If you're price range is low, and all you need it for is to haul two dirt bikes and get from point a to point b, I'd suggest a Ford Ranger or Chevy S10.

Bare bones models can be had for very very cheap.

I can agree on the S-10 idea if you don't get a 4x4 those are like a second job to keep 'em running and working right.

If you buy a used GM 1500 instead, you won't need to replace the Ranger or S-10 when you want to start hauling that new heavier trailer which is a likelyhood.

Why no fords? Rangers are nice little trucks that are very affordable to buy and parts are plentiful. It kinda sounds like your only option is a s-10 or silverado and their gmc counterparts.

I can agree on the S-10 idea if you don't get a 4x4 those are like a second job to keep 'em running and working right.

If you buy a used GM 1500 instead, you won't need to replace the Ranger or S-10 when you want to start hauling that new heavier trailer which is a likelyhood.

I never really had many problems with my 4x4 S10's until I started cranking torsion bars, installing lift kits and oversize tires, stuffing SBC's under the hood, etc.

Then I shredded CV joints, shafts and boots, wheel bearings, ball joints, you name it, I wrecked it.

My fault, not the chassis.

Idler arms....well, that's just a GM thing.

I never really had many problems with my 4x4 S10's until I started cranking torsion bars, installing lift kits and oversize tires, stuffing SBC's under the hood, etc.

Then I shredded CV joints, shafts and boots, wheel bearings, ball joints, you name it, I wrecked it.

My fault, not the chassis.

Idler arms....well, that's just a GM thing.

Idler arms, pitman arms, CV joints, U-joints, 3 sets of upper and lower balljoints, intake gaskets, electric air pumps and the check valves, the fuel pumps, integral hub bearing / ABS sensors costing upwards of $200 a pop., famous for failing ABS brake control modules @ $700 a pop. I can go on, but I was the S-10 repair guy in my county it felt like after I went through that POS that I bought brand new

I forgot how the caliper slider pins would freeze up and break off which costs another $80 per bracket to replace.

I had alot of fun in my S-10 though :thumbsup:

let's not turn this into a ford versus chevy thread it will end up just like the 2t vs 4t.

I'm a technician and from personal experience i can tell you that nothing lasts forever and every vehicle will have issues at one point or another. JJMILLER is right about the 1500 though. if you decide to start hauling trailers, the ranger and s-10 will have a hard time.

let's not turn this into a ford versus chevy thread it will end up just like the 2t vs 4t.

I'm a technician and from personal experience i can tell you that nothing lasts forever and every vehicle will have issues at one point or another. JJMILLER is right about the 1500 though. if you decide to start hauling trailers, the ranger and s-10 will have a hard time.

I actually wanted the 2008 F150 and liked everything about it except that it costed $7000 more than a Silverado with the same options and it drove and rode worse. Had less HP and worse fuel economy too. I still think the F150 is a much better looking truck than mine

Get an older Chevy silverado. 1994-1999 are the best trucks still on the road. The old 5.7 liter is the best motor ever made for a truck.

Suggestions for a first truck

I dont know what I should get for a first vehicle. I want something with a bed (no trailors). I was thinking Tacoma but that's too expensive. I like Dodge but Rams are expensive as well. Definitely no Fords. Any suggestions for trucks that arent too expensive and can fit 2 dirtbikes?

I have a ford ranger XLT that I got with 30k miles. It's now got 110k, and other than oil,gas and air filters, i have only spent 1000 bucks to replace a fuel filter at 105k. Rangers rule.

Get an older Chevy silverado. 1994-1999 are the best trucks still on the road. The old 5.7 liter is the best motor ever made for a truck.

True too!

My buddy;s first truck when we started to ride was an s-10, i think a 99 or 01? sure it was old and scratched up, but it was pound to get a beating with us loading bikes in and out every weekend. On the normal bed for the s10 (normal cab) we could fit 3 bikes, with the middle one facing backwards.

i got an 08 ram 1500 this summer, because it;s always been my favorite truck and now that I'm older and could afford it I couldn't say no (though my gf sure did.. a lot.. something about 4 mx bikes in the garage and not needing a newer truck, blasphamy!.. :thumbsup: ). Love the truck, but being my size, 5'2", it does make loading my bike alone kind of a b*tch. The smaller s10 was better for me in terms of getting loaded up myself (i cant hold the bars with the bike at the top of the ramp on my ram). I'm really considering selling the 1500 after the winter and trying to find a dakota, hopefully a 4.7. while they are the largest small truck, they are somewhat smaller then the 1500 height wise and for me it's kind of needed. oh, i have a crew cab 1500 and though it only has the 5.5ft bed or whatever it is, tail gate open with a moto gate works perfectly.

good luck! Don't go into debt getting your first vehicle, if you're anything like me first vehicle + truck tends to lead to a lot of fun... and beating up the truck :ride:

oh and as much as I hate ford, i actually don't mind their trucks:P

don't know why, but both the newer face-lifeted and pre-face-lift dakota and rams are where my heart's at (i realize they may not be the best truck ever..)

mmmm :thumbsup: think i'm gonna go put my kxf and 125 in it and just stare at it.. imeanwut. :ride: be back in 20 hours once my midgetass can get them loaded up . hahah

I actually wanted the 2008 F150 and liked everything about it except that it costed $7000 more than a Silverado with the same options and it drove and rode worse. Had less HP and worse fuel economy too. I still think the F150 is a much better looking truck than mine

Let's face it--any truck you can afford will do the job, and this is not the place to get legitimate data on reliability. Pick a truck you can afford, look up the problem areas in the Consumer Reports, and check out the trucks with regard to those areas. Buying used is always risky, especially with trucks, as very few are owned by grandmas that only drive on Sunday.

Why do you say no trailers? I gave up my truck (it was a sweet superduty) for a simple utility trailer over 2 years ago and don't miss it at all. I regularly haul 2 bikes and gear for two riders, and when I travel long distances to races (usually 1 bike and lots of gear, food, etc.), I get 25+ mpg towing with a 4 cylinder car.