Sign in to follow this  

powder coating wheels/hubs/spokes

Well my wheels look a rough. cast aluminum ive read can be powdercoated. could i just pull the bearings out of the hubs and have the wheels/spokes/hubs powder coated as one or a whole?

u probably could, but if it were me?, i would only do the wheels & hubs, & buy new spokes!

may look a bit cheesy if u do them assembled,,

do what u want, but i would just scotchbrite them & ride,

mine are bad too, but i'm gonna save up for new rims :thumbsup:

its def. doable but as stated would kinda look like pooo..... you could get a spoke wrench, pull them apart yourself, have the rims/hubs PC'd and get new spokes . put back together loosely and have a bike shop true them up for ya.... or buy a set of DNA rims already done....

I bought a bike that had the rims/spokes/hubs powdercoated completely assembled. I recommend not doing so as I ended up having to cut the spokes off with a bolt cutter. If I were you I would clean up the old ones or save up some money to buy a new set.

alrighty, ill just take them apart, its a ktm so it has the excel wheels so i dont wanna buy new. looks like a pain in the ass to put them together ill just take them apart. and have the local shop lace them.

I had my son's hubs, rims, spokes and nipples powdercoated. They are from a stock 2005 CR85RB. It was my first pair of rims to take apart and to lace. I did as recommended above, laced them loosely and had a shop true them. Do not do them all together as stated above, you can't adjust spokes if needed (when needed). Here's a pic, he picked the color, I would have picked a darker red, but it is his. Pull the bearings and the spacer out prior to PCing.

DSCN2490.jpg

Jim

Edited by jump6pack
Forgot some good info.