Sign in to follow this  

CR front forks

I have a 1993 cr500, when I bought the bike it came with a extra set of forks (the previous owner bought them off SMS racing and never got around to installing them). The forks that were on the bike were really soft, upon removal I found one of the shocks was leaking. I replaced it with the new forks that came with the bike. These shocks are much shorter than the stock ones and have no travel. I played around with the rebound and the adjustment at the top of the shocks, and still couldn't get anything out of them.

I have no experience with suspension, but I was wondering is there a way to raise these shocks back to stock height or at least get some travel out of them? Could this be because there is no oil in the shocks?

no they have been shortened, they will have spacers and shorter springs inside than std.

Ok thanks, I have had them apart since then and the springs and components, maybe they were for street use? Anyways I scrapped the short forks to use for my standard height forks, for the seals and shock tubes. I have the tool for installing the seals but do not have the fork oil level tool. Is there any pointers suggestions to measure the oil without this tool?