What does the Carb Piston Valve Solenoid do ?

Having some fun with my DRZ400s (04 model)... rode it one day just fine, then has not stared since. Cleaned the carb, got a spark, got compression etc.

Trying to understand what the Piston Valve Solenoid does and can I remove it, does it have an effect on the starting process (don't have a wiring diagram in my manual)...

Experiences and thoughts are always welcome..

thanks

JayTee.

Hi Subeng.... been looking at some other manuals / wiring diagrams on the web, looks like the USA versions don't have my stupid bit of electronic gadgetry..... must be a UK.EU thing.... we also have the throttle sensor... (some thing in common at least then ;-)

THe piston control valve has control over the vacuum operated slide. In the lower gears it limits slide height to limit power. It does not affect starting. Yes, it can be removed. Simply remove it and plug the hole on the top of the carb cap. I'm sure there are procedures posted here someplace. Try FAQ. Not sure what countries have this. Not the US or Canada. Apparently not Australia.

If you have the vacuum petcock it is leaking and gas is flowing through the needle/seat in the bowl into the motor (assuming you didn't leave it set on PRI). You should check both. Change oil with the cheap stuff, ride it for about 20 minutes, and change oil again with the good stuff.

If you have the manual petcock remember to turn it off when you turn off the motor. The needle/seat and change oil comments still apply.