Sign in to follow this  

2001 rm125 jetting problem

I picked up a 2001 rm125 the other day and today was the first day I got to drive it. The guy I bought it from cliams the bike has new piston, ring, cylinder and carb. So today I had the bike out for the first time and the bike started up first kick but was really smokie I drove it threw some trails then got onto a road where i could open it up and it would not hit powerband in any gear the bike stalled out and was very hard to start. Thought I fouled up the plug because of the way the bike was acting but pulled the plug and it was dry!! Does anyone know what the problem could be? Also The bike has to be rev'd so it doesnt stall out. When bike is being started it seems like it almost starts then cuts out. Please help!

So I took the carb apart and cleaned it and checked the reeds while I was at it. I looked at the main jet and it was a 520? It seems to big I only have a full fmf pipe and about 500-1000 feet above sea level? What should I being running or is this jet ok?

520 main? That is way too rich. The stock on 2001 is 460 and it still feels to rich. I put 450 on mine and it runs better. Also, what is the pilot? Should be 27.5 from the factory which is also a little too rich. Check the float height. It should be at 5mm (+/- 1mm). Also, check out the jetting chart in the sticky.

520 main? That is way too rich. The stock on 2001 is 460 and it still feels to rich. I put 450 on mine and it runs better. Also, what is the pilot? Should be 27.5 from the factory which is also a little too rich. Check the float height. It should be at 5mm (+/- 1mm). Also, check out the jetting chart in the sticky.

Thats what I thought. I cannot find the pilot jet number anywheres on it where would it be located?

It should be stamped on it,but it is very little.

It does not say anyweres on it hopefully im looking at the right one ( The jet right next to the to the main jet)

It does not say anyweres on it hopefully im looking at the right one ( The jet right next to the to the main jet)

ok i looked everywhere and theres no marking on it ill just rejet to the stock jets and hope that makes a differnce

Ok i found that the pilot jet was a 40.. should be 27.5 I ordered it and a 460 and will let you know if that fixed the problem