Sign in to follow this  

Cant reach the clutch... RM85L

So my brother is ten now, and has moved up to the 03 RM85L. He is plenty tall enough for it, but he has small hands, and has trouble grabbing the clutch. The clutch is the stiffest out of the bike I have ever ridden. I was wondering if anyone knew of a solution to bring the clutch lever closer to the bars and if anyone else's 85 has a stiff clutch. I will be taking it apart soon to see, I just wanted to know if anyone else had run into the same problems and knew how to fix them.

Thanks,

Nick

Start with a new clutch cable and replace the clutch springs back to stock. Most the 85 Moto Dads, put the 10% heavy springs in and it makes the clutch pull harder. With the stock springs and a new cable it will feel like butter. Keep the old springs, once he starts riding full open in the corners you will need to beef the clutch back up. May have a grooved clutch basket also so check it while your into the clutch. Good luck.

Ok, well I put a new clutch cable on it, and the pull is a lot easier than with the old one. So maybe the old one was getting pinched or was frozen up? Well I will still take a look at the basket and springs, but is there a way to tell if the springs are aftermarket with out having the originals to compare it to?

Thanks for responding!