Sign in to follow this  

87 XL250R charged battery needed to kick start?

1987 Xl250R

9K miles

Aquired with dead battery but still starts up but only with battery connected. Battery is beyond charging. Is a fully charged battery going to affect how the bike starts with a kickstart? I tend to think it's not part of the ignition circuit but the bike will not get a spark unless the battery is connected. I'm trying to sort out some starting/ running issues at the moment. Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Scott

In some case you have to have a battery connected even if it will not hold a charge that has to do Voltage Regulator and the way the Stator works which may then sent power to CDI and Ligths or gronud is Floating .

Try bolting the Neg battery wire some on the frame see that work

I just look at wiring diagram but there no tell it 100% rigth but base on it, it should not part be ignition circuit but it may you not get a good gronud.

Edited by shspvr

Could this be why the headlight isn't working? The headlight tested good but does not turn on while the bike is running although the signals, horn, instrument lights and brake light all works. I'm thinking it might be the headlight handlebar switchgear.

Could this be why the headlight isn't working? The headlight tested good but does not turn on while the bike is running although the signals, horn, instrument lights and brake light all works. I'm thinking it might be the headlight handlebar switchgear.

That or Regulator it not working or bad stator

Besure unplug stator frist

Any way look at this sent 12v on Yellow/White wire hopelee the color match that way you can check headlight switch

Honda-XL250-Wiring-Diagram-1024x733.jpg

turns out it was dirty connections on the left switch controls. Thanks

Edited by scotteroni