Sign in to follow this  

2011 TE449 vs. 2010 Husaberg FX450

Well, I'm coming to the finish line of which bike to pick. The price is the same after I add lighting to the FX450. The Husa dealer is convenient and the Husky is over an hour in the wrong direction. I love Husky, but the Husa FX has the close ratio tranny as well. I'm a big fan of the ergos on my '06 TE450. I'm assuming the new Husky would fit my 6'1" body better, but I'm sure that risers would take care of that on the Husa.

One question I have is "does the 2011 TE 449 have a radiator fan"? I know that I have to add one to the FX.

Thanks in advance for this answer or any further advice.

Conte

My honest oppinion as someone who was in the same dilema as yourself not too long ago:

First off, if you like the close ration tranny of the FX450 then the Husky version of this would be the TXC, not the TE IMHO. Have you looked into this? Also, the TXC will come from the dealer with both the Akropovic exhaust and the "cannon" (as I call it) exhaust. Both are USF approved but the Akropovic is both lighter, sleeker and just overall better looking. The TE449 WILL NOT come with the Akropovc unless this has changed recently.

2nd... The ergonomics of the new generation Husky (449 and 511) is night and day compared to the 06' and IMO, it has changed for the better. So no bother to even hope they are the same because their not. Now, compared to the Husaberg FX, the Husky will have more rider room in the saddle. This is ofcourse due to no gas tank up front and a little different placement of the pegs from what I discovered. The FX (wich is spot on with the FE version in ergo's) also has the fuel tank centered in the bike. However the fuel entry is up front as on "conventional" bikes. Yes, the Berg is a bit more "cramped" in comparison to the 449/511 of Husky, however, I too am 6'2" and it has not hindered my riding style not do you feel boxed in (I have the 2010 FE450).

You will get more fuel milage on the Husky from what I am told and if it is anything like my 2000 TE610 off-road, then I believe it. On my TE I can get 70-75 miles on good hard mountain single track with elevation changes. On the Berg, time to re-fuel before you are pushing back to the truck around 60 miles. Not the same if I take my Berg to Nevada for some good desert riding, then I am getting 70-75. Not sure of the terrain you will be riding, but here in California and being so close to Nevada, we have a wide variety. I went with the Berg because other than the fuel milage issue it is awesome bike, as is the Husky. However, I found my brand new FE450 for such a low price that it kinda felt like stealing it!:ride: That ofcourse was a huge factor in my decision and I am still 100% happy with my choice.

As far as riding the two, I can't compare them, wouldnt be fair. I have not been lucky enough yet to ride the new Husky's but I did spend a good hour or so going over one with Dan at Motoxotica and man....what a great machine! I love Husky's, always will. I have owned a couple in my life and still own one now that is almost 12 years old but is still outta this world! That being said though, I am reall starting to love my Berg more and more every day. I will say this though, I wouldn't worry about how close the dealer is. Both have great online parts these days. Having a Berg dealer local i great thats for sure, but a hour drive to a good Husky dealer is nothing. Hell, I have a "local" Husky dealer within 15 minutes of me, but I take the drive to Motoxotica an hour away just because I want someone who really knows Huskys when I need advise and parts on my TE and who is just good people all the away around.:thumbsup:

All in all, it can be a hard decision and what ever choice you make, I gaurantee you will love it. Don't rush it, comapre the the bikes and make the decision that is best for you. Both of the bikes are 100 times better than what you will get from the "big 4" in Japan!:worthy:

Wow... Sme great advise. I ride in the mountains of western Maine. There a lot of rocks, roots and nasty hill climbs. More traction, which I believe both bike will have sounds great. I'm happy with the tranny in my '06 TE450 and assumed the TE449 would be similar. I figured the TXC would be the same as well. I need to plate what ever choice I make. I was told by the Husa dealer that it sn't a problem in Mass. where I live, but the TE's are a no brainer.

The prices are great on either. One other thing is that the looks of the new TE's are slowly growing on me. The 2012's graphics look soooo much better. The Husas are great looking. I'm more into the performance than looks though. Maybe I can get some 2012 plastic later to update the Husky. As far as the exhaust goes, I'm already planning on getting the FMF muffler and JD module. Also, I don't see any TXCs around here.

I have spent a lot of time on the new Bergs (FE390, FE450, FE570) and love them. Also own a TE511 and love it. They are pretty comparable mounts IMHO. Motors are similar, smooth and very useful. Suspension is similar for the FE but guessing the FX will be a lot stiffer. FE to TE they are both semi soft and work great for trail work. I like the steering and ergonomics slightly better on the husky. Would be hard to pick a clear winner on the TE/TXC verses the FE 390/450. Real similar bikes. I like the husky better but it probably has as much to do with my love for the brand than anything real.

Thanks Ride. I was hoping that you would chime in. I've read tons of your posts on both sites. I appreciate your posts, help and products. You've been a help many times. I have coverted 3 buddy's to run MotoZtires.

One other point is Husaberg isn't bringing any 4-strokes into the country for 2012.. If you watch what the WEC Husaberg guys are racing as well as the American team (all 2-strokes) it makes you wonder if Husaberg might be moving away from 4-strokes all together. Anyway Husqvarna/BMW is committed to growing Husqvarna and the 449/511 platform will most likely be around for a while. Husaberg will most likely be the 2 stroke efi experiment for KTM. If the market embraces Husaberg efi 2-strokes the KTM will roll it out on all KTM 2strokes. If they don't then they'll kill off or sell the brand.

They simply had to many 2011 left over. I think Bergs are here to stay in the 4st world. Pretty popular bike. The 449/511 on the other hand is rumored to be short lived if the rumored 450 X-light takes it's place. Time will tell but I would not let that influence me on ether decision.

Well, I think I'm going with the FX. With lights, fan, tank heat shield and header wrap. $6,700 OTD. I know that I can get the 449 for approx. the same, but I think it's time to find out what it's like to have a good dealer alose by. Thank you all.

Well, I think I'm going with the FX. With lights, fan, tank heat shield and header wrap. $6,700 OTD. I know that I can get the 449 for approx. the same, but I think it's time to find out what it's like to have a good dealer alose by. Thank you all.

That's a great price! Very close to what I payed for my FE450. You will be more than happy with the bike. You would have been happy either way, but that is a great price. They need to move out inventory for 2013 (according to my Berg dealer). That's why such great deals. Also, the Bergs are not going anywhere as far as building 4 strokes. They are here to stay and they already have the 2012 4T models in Europe, just not here in the States because of the overstock of 2011's and some 2010's. Not to mention KTM wanting to have a little less "competition" in the US for the release of their new FI bikes. It was all planned out ahead of time. If you read other Husaberg blogs on other sites and talk to the dealers, they fully expect 2013 Husaberg 4T's and 2T's in the U.S....

hi mate,iv riden both & there not the same at all imo.both great bikes tho.i go out with a 449 rider alot of the time & swap bikes & its good to get on the husky but even better to get bk on the berg,but thats my preferance.the fx will feel more livelyer so if thats what pumps ur nads then uv made the rite choice.im happy with the berg but if i was looking for change then the husky would be in the shed,well thats untill i rode the 12s 2strokes...umm so many nice bikes out there & not enough $$$ in the pocket..good luck on ur nxt ride anyway

Thanks. I might sound silly, but the Berg matches up very nice with my '03 TM 300 2 stroke. Blue with 19" rear rims. At least when I buy tires or attire, it will work out nice. I wouldn't be surprised to be back on a Husky in the future. Hell, if I don't get a decent price for my TE450 and my wife doesn't kill me, maybe I'll keep it.

Mine is so much fun. Feels like a 2 stroke at anything over 10mph. Great EFI, handling and suspension. I made mine a dual sport with a Sicass kit.